Wifi CC3000 SmartConfig not working

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bougs

Wifi CC3000 SmartConfig not working

Post by bougs »

Hello,

I am running the Wifi CC3000 on top of the arduino DUE. The CC3000 buildtest works fine but I cant get SmartConfig to work.

I have tried the CC3000 compatible app (the one written by xCube labs that is posted on the TI website) on an Android and iOS and neither works. I've also tested on multiple routers.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot what is going on?

amahpour

Re: Wifi CC3000 SmartConfig not working

Post by amahpour »

Ada,

Could this be a defect of the product? Note that firmware upgrade did not work using the Due as well.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Just to check what Arduino IDE are you using to connect to the Due? If you're using 1.5.8 or 1.5.7 beta jump back down to the 1.5.6-r2 beta because the later IDEs have a newer toolchain that has some quirks with firmware upgrades and such: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftwareReleases If you flashed the firmware with the 1.5.8 or 1.5.7 version, reflash it with the 1.5.6-r2 version just to get it back in a good state.

I just gave the smart config create sketch a quick test on a Due (using Arduino 1.5.6-r2 beta) and it seemed to work for me using the iOS app from TI. It's a really confusing app to use unfortunately, so here's how I used it:
- First I started with the iOS device connected to the wireless network I wanted the CC3000 to use.
- Then I ran the smart config app and filled in the password with the wireless network's password.
- I checked the gateway IP address was correct for my wifi network (192.168.1.1).
- The key checkbox was not selected.
- Device name was set to the default CC3000.
- Don't click the start button just yet!
- Then I loaded the smart config create sketch on the Due and opened the serial monitor at 115200 baud.
- Once the serial monitor showed "Waiting for a SmartConfig connection (~60s) ..." I clicked the Start button on the smart config app.
- After about 10 seconds the serial monitor showed it saved the connection details: "Saved connection details and connected to AP!" and it connected and printed the IP address (after a few attempts waiting to get the IP over DHCP).

Try following those steps to see if they match what you're trying. In general I've seen smart config is kind of flakey--I'm not sure TI really made it into something robust and easy to use unfortunately. You also probably need to make sure your wireless network doesn't do any MAC address filtering or block any ports internally, since from what I understand smart config uses some multicast communication to find devices.

bougs

Post by bougs »

Hi Tony,

I followed your steps exactly and it still didnt work. I ended up ordering a new cc3000 shield and I happy to report that SmartConfig is working very well (even with 1.5.7). It looks like my first board was defective.

Thanks,
Josh

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Oh interesting--if you haven't yet make sure to contact [email protected] and point them at this thread so they can get you a refund for the defective board. Sorry for the issue, but I'm glad it's working with the new board. Thanks for the followup!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”