CC3000 MAC addresses - Factory? Where Stored?

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
digsigblake

CC3000 MAC addresses - Factory? Where Stored?

Post by digsigblake »

Howdy - I/we have couple of questions about Adadfruit CC3000 Shield MAC addresses.

1a) Does the Adafruit CC3000 Shield come from Adafruit with a unique (in all the world), factory-set, MAC address (that can't be overwritten) stored in it? If yes, where in the Adafruit examples would I see how to extract that address?

1b) Is there a unique-in-all-the-world MAC address set-aside for each Adafruit CC3000 Shield? Even though Arduino Ethernets sold by Adafruit don't have a persistent MAC Address burned into their hardware, they do have a unique address printed on a label affixed to the card. I'm wondering if the CC3000 shields have a similar, loosely associated MAC written down somewhere.

2) When the Adafruit CC3000 Shield example software stores a persistent MAC address into an UNO/CC3000 combination, where is that address stored? I think it goes into NVRAM somewhere. If I'm right, is that NVRAM on the Uno, or on the CC3000?

Thanks in advance,
Blake

adafruit_support_mike

Re: CC3000 MAC addresses - Factory? Where Stored?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The MAC address is stored in the CC3000's EEPROM.

I don't work with the chip's internals persoanlly, but IIRC each module is configured with a Universally-Unique ID (UUID) at the factory. I don't think we change it.

The CC3000 API contains a couple of functions in the Nvram module that can set or retrieve the MAC address, but we don't expose them through the Adafruit_CC3000 library.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”