CC3000 HTTPServer and cell phone connectivity

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
netphemera

CC3000 HTTPServer and cell phone connectivity

Post by netphemera »

Every time I try to access the CC3000 HTTPServer via my cell phone it crashes.

I've tried various different sketches. They work fine when accessed by my PC web browser, but the CC3000 freezes up when I try to access it from my cell phone. I've used Dolphin and Chrome and they both fail to load the web page and then crash it so that my PC can no longer access it either.
  • What is causing this behavior?
    How can I fix it?

Franklin97355

Re: CC3000 HTTPServer and cell phone connectivity

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post your code and a description or drawing of your connections between it all? Please use the code button "</>" or

Code: Select all

tags when posting code to the forums.

netphemera

Post by netphemera »

When I first noticed it happening I tried loading up a slightly modified version of the HTTPServer example. It acted the exact same way. I even had trouble running network scans and ping tests to the CC3000 and nothing seemed to work. It would be great to just get any web server code to work with my phone. For the time being I haven't found anything that has worked.

I'll try cleaning up the original HTTPServer sketch a bit and try a few more different Android tools. I could also try some of the other examples to see if I can find any way to get the two devices to talk to each other over WiFi. So far I haven't really had any success with my Android phone connected to the CC3000 via a port-80 web server.

It's important. This project hinges on my Android phone being able to get http web pages from my Arduino. I really don't want to scratch the whole thing and rebuilt it using the Ethernet shield.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

One thing to be careful about, the CC3000 library by default can only handle receiving packets that are 90 bytes in size. If something sends a larger packet the driver code will stick in a loop to prevent a buffer overflow. I'm not super familiar with Android's web browsers but if they're sending large packets (like perhaps sending a large amount of HTTP headers) it could cause an issue like you see. If you can get a packet trace of the Android browser sending a request to the CC3000 on your wifi network (using a tool like wireshark) it might help confirm what's different about Android making a request vs. your PC.

Although it looks and feels like a computer on your network the CC3000 is a really small embedded device without much memory or processing power. The same 90 character limit also applies to sending data, so be careful that you don't try to send more than 90 characters in a single fastrprintln or write call too.

netphemera

Post by netphemera »

My project is still not particularly stable. Many different actions seem to crash it.

In addition to my cell phone web browser, it appears that simply sending a ping to the CC3000 running as a web server will knock it out. Is that normal and expected behavior?

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Sorry just catching back up this question--that doesn't sound normal for a ping to crash the CC3k. One thing to do is upgrade to the latest CC3000 firmware as TI has released a lot of bug fixes for issues with stability. Check this page for details on upgrading firmware and try the 1.13 or 1.14 version of the firmware. Be careful to only use the Arduino IDE version 1.0.6 and not the beta versions like 1.5.7 or 1.5.8 since those use a newer toolchain that some folks have seen issues with too.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”