GPS stops at 10,000m

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sinjinmanta

GPS stops at 10,000m

Post by sinjinmanta »

Hi, I launched an ultimate GPS in a weather balloon recently and the data recorded perfectly right until it reached 10,000 meters. At 10,000 meters it stopped recording latitude, longitude, and altitude. The GPS was still receiving NMEA sentences (GPGGA and GPRMC) because it did have Track Angle, Speed in Knots, and a few other parameters. I'm inclined to think that we experienced some sort of "ceiling" above which the data stops being sent/recorded. Once the payload came down below 10,000m it began recording again. We've launched an Ultimate GPS once before and it recorded perfectly all the way up to 23,000m, so I'm somewhat baffled. Any thoughts?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: GPS stops at 10,000m

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Do you have a list of the actual NMEA sentences from before and after passing 10km?

sinjinmanta

Post by sinjinmanta »

Yes, the text file recorded wonderfully. I have full GPRMC and full GPGGA sentences right up to 10,000m. As soon as the payload came down below 10,000m it started recording location data again.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Thanks.. could you post some of that output please? It will give us something to refer to when talking with the vendor.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”