Waiting for: Bluetooth Arduino Serial & Programmer - v1.3 PR

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dww

Waiting for: Bluetooth Arduino Serial & Programmer - v1.3 PR

Post by dww »

I've been waiting for Bluefruit EZ-Link Shield - Bluetooth Arduino Serial & Programmer - v1.3
PRODUCT ID: 1628 this shield since mid December and have my name in to be notified when it was back in stock, but I've yet to receive any news. Has this product been discontinued?

==
Bruce

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Waiting for: Bluetooth Arduino Serial & Programmer - v1.

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Not at all.

I don't know the specific reason that one's on hold, but it usually involves delays in the supply chain.

The start-to-end time for making a batch of silicon chips can be three to four months, and nobody who owns a fab wants it to sit idle. If a chip suddenly becomes popular and sells out before the next scheduled production run, manufacturers have a couple of choices: sit the shortage out and wait for the next scheduled run, or fit a new run into the next available chunk of free production time. Either way, there will probably be a period where buyers can't get the part because all the existing inventory has been sold.

Once the new batch does arrive, manufacturers have to decide which fires to put out first, which can lead to additional delays for companies that aren't major clients.

It's not that anyone has stopped making the product, or even wants to.. just the opposite. It's just what happens when someone didn't guess last quarter's demand high enough 18 months ago.

dww

Re: Waiting for: Bluetooth Arduino Serial & Programmer - v1.

Post by dww »

Thanks for the info. I'll continue to wait for my bluetooth shield.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”