Music Shield MP3 player

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stem5

Music Shield MP3 player

Post by stem5 »

Hi!
We are trying to get the music shield to work, however when we put the coding from online we get this message "AdAdafruit VS1053 Simple Test Couldn't find VS1053, do you have the right pins defined?" We tried commenting and uncommenting the part we had to change, however we continue to get the same message. How can I fix this?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Music Shield MP3 player

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo of your hardware and connections and we'll take a look.

stem5

Post by stem5 »

Hi!
We are trying to get the music shield to work, however when we put the coding from online we get this message "AdAdafruit VS1053 Simple Test Couldn't find VS1053, do you have the right pins defined?" We tried commenting and uncommenting the part we had to change, however we continue to get the same message. How can I fix this?

Attached are the images of how we set everything up. We have not yet soldered everything together just in case we would have to change something up, perhaps that is the problem?
Attachments
IMG_4774-2.jpeg
IMG_4774-2.jpeg (39.91 KiB) Viewed 740 times
IMG_7223.jpeg
IMG_7223.jpeg (47.27 KiB) Viewed 740 times

adafruit_support_mike

You have to solder the pin header into the holes for it to work.

stem5

Post by stem5 »

Ok, thank you for the response. The problem is that we have to stack something on top, but it is only on three pins. These pins would be 5 Volts, GRND, and A0. Therefore, we would need stacking headers, but only for those pins. How do you think we could do this in a way that the shield will work and so will the other sensor. (pulse sensor)
Thank you!

adafruit_support_mike

There are rows of holes just inside the holes for the pin header that connect to each pin.

You can connect the sensor to those inner holes:
1788-02.jpg
1788-02.jpg (62.16 KiB) Viewed 694 times

stem5

Post by stem5 »

Hi,
Thank you so much for the advice. We have encountered another problem, however, which we don't know how to solve. The arduino finds the shield and the serial monitor says that music is playing, but no sound comes out of the headphones. We tried changing the volume on the code, but that also does not work. What can we do to fix this?

Thank you
Attachments
music.png
music.png (17.27 KiB) Viewed 633 times

adafruit_support_mike

I'm not sure what would cause that.

Post a photo of your current hardware and connections and we'll take a look.

stem5

Post by stem5 »

Sorry to keep asking, but we have yet another question. The code provided works perfectly on mac computers, but when we tried it on the school windows desktop this comes up. We have followed the instructions to put the shield in, but it continues to say this. We need to work in school, we would like to figure out how to get it to work on all computers.

Thank you
Attachments
hi.png
hi.png (232.12 KiB) Viewed 576 times

adafruit_support_mike

The "does not name a type" error almost always means the compiler can't find the library.

This tutorial has information about installing Arduino libraries for all the major platforms:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-all ... -libraries

doscherda

Post by doscherda »

Mike,

I have just received my Music Shield MP3 Player (part 1788) and soldered all the connections with header pins. Now, I am applying power to the Pins you show in your post. Specifically, 5V to Vin and Ground to both GND connnections. If I understand everything correctly, I would expect to get 3v or 5v (respectively) on the Pins labelled 3v and 5v. I get no output voltage on these Pins.

I also tried using 12v for Vin and get the same results --- no output voltage on the 3V / 5V pins. Please verify that 3V and 5V are output pins and the expected input voltage I should apply on Vin.

Unless there is a power on switch that I do not see I have a pretty dead unit.

Thanks,
David

adafruit_support_mike

Post a photo of your hardware and connections and we'll take a look.

stem5

Post by stem5 »

Hi! Thank you for your response. We tried re downloading the arduino library and software so that the music will work. However, we still received the same message as before that says "Player does not name a type." Therefore, we were wondering if you knew what was wrong with it, or how we can fix this error as we need a Windows computer, and not a Mac computer to complete this project.
Thank you
Group 5

doscherda

Post by doscherda »

Mike,

I tried to attach photos taken from 2 different phones but the AdaFruit system is telling me "invalid format" when I try to upload the jpg photos. We will have to make progress without photos for now or let me know an email address I can send them to and you can receive them via email.

The board is connected to a PSU built from a PC. I have tried both 12v and 5v as voltage for the Vin pin and connected both GND pins to Ground. I tested the 3v and 5v pins from the Board and get no output voltage.

It is reasonable to expect that the 3v/5v pins will have output voltage after applying 12v to Vin? or do I have to start working on the SPI interface and "wake-up" the board before seeing this output voltage ?

adafruit_support_mike

The forum puts a limit on file sizes, but 800x600 images usually work. Also check the name of the file to make sure it ends with ".jpg" so the forum knows what kind of file to expect.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”