5V DC Brushless Fan and Arduino Motor Shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lroca

5V DC Brushless Fan and Arduino Motor Shield

Post by lroca »

Hi,

I wish to connect 2 or more 5V DC Brushless Fan (80x80x15mm, https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9649) to Arduino UNO. Therefore, can I use Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino v2 Kit - v2.3 (PRODUCT ID: 1438)?

I presume that the Motor Shield can only connect 2 fans and as I am a beginner how can I connect 3 or more fans without breadboard (a scheme will be a gigantic help).

Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: 5V DC Brushless Fan and Arduino Motor Shield

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The V2 motor shield has 4 DC motor control channels. So you could control all 3 from one shield.

lroca

Post by lroca »

Thanks a lot.

Few following question as a newbie:
-Ok, so in this case do I need to connect a power supply to the motor shield, to the Arduino board or 2 separate power supplies to each one of them?
-If I need to connect a breakout board to A4,A5, 3.3V and GND, can I connect them directly to the motor shield?
-Unfortunately it is out of stock, any ETA?

Thanks again.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

do I need to connect a power supply to the motor shield, to the Arduino board or 2 separate power supplies to each one of them?
The fans you link are designed for 5v operation, so you will need to remove the VIN jumper and supply 5v to the external power terminal. However, since these are relatively low-power fans, you could supply that power from the Arduino 5v pin.
-If I need to connect a breakout board to A4,A5, 3.3V and GND, can I connect them directly to the motor shield?
There are breakout holes adjacent to those header pins on the shield for that purpose.
Unfortunately it is out of stock, any ETA?
If you register for notification, you will get an email as soon as they are back in stock.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”