2.8 TFT Shield V2 to Mega and Uno

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
oeGDuino

2.8 TFT Shield V2 to Mega and Uno

Post by oeGDuino »

Hi, just got my Adafruit 2.8 TFT Resistive Touch Shield V2.
As I cannot decide right now, if I will use it with Uno or Mega at the End, I would like to connect it to a Mega without soldering or gutting jumpers.
I'm therefor connecting it with wires. Is it possible to get it working on a Mega without modding, by just connecting the right pins? Which will I need?
As for now, i only see backlight. Think thats normal without any modding / wiring...

Display Power Mode: 0x0
MADCTL Mode: 0x0
Pixel Format: 0x0
Image Format: 0x0
Self Diagnostic: 0x0

Thx in advance.

PS: Didn't find the answer in this forum, is there is, I will take the link gratefully!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: 2.8 TFT Shield V2 to Mega and Uno

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Let's double-check the hardware.

Post a photo of your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

oeGDuino

Post by oeGDuino »

Hm, I think a picture wouldn't help in any way.
I just plugged the Shield to the Mega - and as expected - got nothing then bright backlight.

As I did not want to solder the ISCP Jumpers and cut off jumpers for pins 11 to 13, i wanted to know, which pins of the shield i need to connect (by wire) with what pins of the mega2560. I did not find the plain information and was not able to read it out of https://learn.adafruit.com/assets/13453

Question remains, even if i took my solder station last night, because i wanted to know if the shield is working at all - it's all fine.

So where to find the (noob :-) info, what pins of "2.8'' TFT LCD shield w/Touchscreen v2.0 by Adafruit" need to be connected to "ATMega2560" (and only those needed).
Thank you in advance!

oeGDuino

Post by oeGDuino »

Okay, did another attempt to it.
Just realized that the wikipedia site states wrong pinlayout :D

Can you confirm the following Mega 2560 used Pins (to the corresponding of the shield)?

13 / resp ICSP 3 (middle left pin, when USB is left side top)
12 / resp ICSP 1 (top left pin, ....)
11 / resp ICSP 4 (middle right pin, ....)
3 (optional backlight, when jumpered)
A0
A1
A2
A3
5V
GND right of 5V
GND right of the first GND

All the other pins not needed?

I could have wired
- Mega corresponding shield pin 13 to ISCP 3 (middle left)
- Mega corresponding shield pin 12 to ISCP 1 (top left)
- Mega corresponding shield pin 11 to ISCP 4 (middle right)
- all the other mentioned pins
without any soldering?

Thank you for helping out!

adafruit_support_mike

Check this section of the tutorial: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-2-8 ... h-leonardo

oeGDuino

Post by oeGDuino »

Well...

Out of this reference I can confirm 7 out of my stated 15 pins. i've used that page before, to create that list. I started this thread because i couldn't manage to find one complete list of used pins on your TFT shield.

oeGDuino

Post by oeGDuino »

So, another try:

Mike, you pointed me to the tutorial page. I followed every instruction there before and as i wrote, everything is working fine, if i plug the shield directly to the Mega. My question here, and in the above posts concerns the information missing on that specific page in your tutorial section. If i am not plugging the shield directly to the mega, because i need them to be at distance, i need to wire it.

What pins do I need to connect at maximum (to safe the other pins for other tasks).

I allready pre-answered my onw question for you. I just don't know if I am right. Especially for the 2 GND pins, are they really needed?

If there is any problem understanding my questions, please let me know. English is not my language.
I just hoped for some clear assistance as advertised when asking for support by buying official adafruit products.

adafruit_support_mike

The pinout for the shield is given on this tutorial page: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-2-8 ... connecting

The TFT uses the three SPI signal pins MOSI, MISO, and SCK. On a Mega, those pins are broken out through the ICSP header. The TFT also uses pins 9 and 10 as CS and D/C signals.

The resistive touchscreen uses MOSI, MISO, SCK, and pin 8 as its CS signal.

The SD card uses MOSI, MISO, SCK, and pin 4 as its CS signal.

The v2 shield doesn't use any of the A0-A5 pins. The ones above, plus 5v and GND connections, will make the shield work.

oeGDuino

Post by oeGDuino »

Thank you!

atymkow

Post by atymkow »

Hi all,

So I kinda have an issue with this shield.
I have a sketch that runs on my UNO with the tft shield fine but when i load the exact same sketch to my MEGA the SD card and captive touch are behaving badly.
The mega can respond to the 'touch' once then stops responding and the SD card doesn't Initialize.

I have plugged the shield straight onto the mega and have done the hack (soldered and cut the 3 pads as described on the tutorial webpage)

Any ideas?

adafruit_support_mike

Post a photo showing your connections and we'll see if we can spot any clues. 800x600 images usually work best.

atymkow

Post by atymkow »

Hi mike, have sorted the problem to an extent. I found my code was hanging at one point so this was making it look like I was having touch screen issues.
I'm still confused as to why the code worked ok on the uno but not on mega.
The section it was hanging on was to control how long the screen backlight is on in a auto sleep function.
There must be some minor difference between uno and mega.

adafruit_support_mike

It may have been a timer or interrupt conflict.

Glad to hear you've at least figured out what to hit though. Happy hacking!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”