Fona 800 Shield, SIM CCID = ERROR

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lmcgrath

Fona 800 Shield, SIM CCID = ERROR

Post by lmcgrath »

Hello,

I am testing my Arduino Uno and Fona shield using the FONAtest sketch. When I read the SIM CCID I get "SIM CCID = ERROR" and when I get the network status I get "Network status 0: Not registered." I am able to read the RSSI which fluctuates between 7 and 13. I am using a Ting SIM card that I just activated (maybe, a half hour ago). I tried holding the set key for 10 seconds, which worked for another poster, but not for me.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_5452.JPG
IMG_5452.JPG (114.06 KiB) Viewed 2827 times
IMG_5451.JPG
IMG_5451.JPG (129.27 KiB) Viewed 2827 times

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Fona 800 Shield, SIM CCID = ERROR

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I had similar problems. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and power

lmcgrath

Post by lmcgrath »

Not sure if it was disconnecting or just giving it the weekend to finish activating, but it works now!

Volt12

Post by Volt12 »

I also wasted several hours on this same problem. Unplugging the battery did the trick. It should be added to the installation instructions.
What is the probability of this happening again when the device is in an unattended application???

adafruit_support_rick

Hard to say. It really depends on your network. But this sort of thing happens from time to time with all cell phones.

Volt12

Post by Volt12 »

Can we come up with a hardware and/or software work-around to address this issue? It has serious implications for the usability of the product if it cannot operate reliably as a remote (i.e. unattended) device.

adafruit_support_rick

You can certainly monitor the network status in software. I suppose you could arrange a relay on the battery connection that you can control with software.

Nowi

Post by Nowi »

I ran into this same issue! I couldn't get it to connect at all until I re-hooked up the battery! Really glad someone suggesting disconnecting and reconnecting the battery!

felix991

Post by felix991 »

I'm gonna add to this because I also had the same problem and the solution in this form fixed it for me as well. un-plug the battery, wait 5 seconds, plug back in.

I will state that I did put it in charge mode with the switch before unplugging. charge mode turns off the shield and just charges the battery.

So the whole steps for me was. Switch to Charge mode, unplug USB cable, wait 5 seconds, plug back in USB, wait for windows new device sounds, switch to run mode. Opened a serial terminal at 115200/NL-CR, Fona software was loading, and it's worked great all day.

I will post again if this becomes a routine for me after I test these more(I have 2). I hate btichin about it cause it's such a cool little device and to be honest, what devices these days don't require a reboot now and then.

nadirait

Post by nadirait »

Howdy folks,

Just wondering if someone can provide KISS instructions on how to do this. I have the exact same config as OP on an Arduino UNO. I keep on getting the SIM CCID = ERROR when using the FONA example sketch.

My setup:
+ Arduino UNO
+ FONA 800
+ TING SIM
+ PKCELL LP 3.7 500mAh battery
+ UFL Sticker Antenna (same as OP)

My RSSI is generally between 19: -76dBm and 24: -66dBm

I've tried:
+ Setting to RUN, disco. bat., disco. power, wait 30 secs., recon. bat., recon. power
+ Setting to RUN, disco. power, disco. bat., wait 30 sec., recon. bat., recon. power
+ Setting to RUN, disco. bat., disco. power, wait 30 secs., recon. power, recon. bat.
+ Setting to RUN, disco. power, disco bat, wait 30 secs., recon. power., recon. bat.

I've even waited several hours (>2) under power and bat. before calling commands.

Right now, I'm starting to think either this board was not ready for primetime, or there's something wrong with the SIM. What throws me for a spin is that I did get it to work once (a couple of weeks ago), but have not been able to do so since. I've replicated the same steps over and over.

I've also tried this in different locations (just in the eventuality that my house is a dead spot).

BTW: I do get the following line when starting it up.

Code: Select all

SIM card I M E I: BANNED
(X = [0-9])

adafruit_support_rick

Please post clear, detailed pictures of both sides of the shield

nadirait

Post by nadirait »

Here you go:
Top of shield
Top of shield
IMG_4303.jpg (927.63 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
Bottom of shield
Bottom of shield
IMG_4305.jpg (914.52 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
Top of shield picture was taken while shield was powered. Blue NET light blinks once a second or so. Green PWR light is always on.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

adafruit_support_rick

Should work. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement FONA

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”