Data logger shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ecusano99

Data logger shield

Post by ecusano99 »

Hello,

I am building a data logging system for my senior design project. I was wondering how many channels I can log with the current data logging shield?

Thanks,

Emma

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Data logger shield

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That depends on what type of sensors you are using. With analog sensors on an Arduino UNO or similar processor, there are 4 analog pins you can use. With SPI or i2c-based sensors, you can potentially bring in many more channels of measurement.

What are you measuring and which sensors do you plan to use?

ecusano99

Post by ecusano99 »

I intend to use 3 axis accelerators and 3 axis gyroscope and possibly a load sensor but I'm not sure about that. The outline of the project is test the crashworthiness of a low speed vehicle so I will mount the sensors onto the chassis and read the measured force experienced during the test.

adafruit_support_bill

You should consider one of our IMUs. These contain 3-axis accerometers, gyros and magnetometers. They use an i2c digital interface, which they can share with the real-time clock on the logger shield.

Load sensors require an instrumentation amplifier. These are available with an i2c interface as well.

ecusano99

Post by ecusano99 »

I'm pretty new to all this so just so I'm clear: you are suggesting I use both the IMU (10 DOF,ect) in addition to the logging shield?

Thanks much

adafruit_support_bill

Yes. The IMU has most of the sensors you need and is compatible with the logger shield. The 9DOF IMU should be sufficient. The 10DOF adds a barometer, which does not seem to be a requirement for your application.

ecusano99

Post by ecusano99 »

Yes, the 9DOF seems sufficient. Thank you so much for your help and I'm sure I'll be back

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”