Need beginner tutorial for Connecting the Adafruit CC3000 Ar

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
arduino_steve

Need beginner tutorial for Connecting the Adafruit CC3000 Ar

Post by arduino_steve »

Hi there,

I understand that this may not be the best place to post such a general and beginner question, but I was not sure where else to turn.

I am a beginner arduino user, having done simple projects like connecting a temperature sensor to an arduino uno and observing the serial monitor for output data.

Now, I want to add wifi by connecting the Adafruit CC3000 wifi shield so that I may instead send the output to Plotly.

Unfortunately, the tutorial at [https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-cc3 ... 000-shield] is above my head. Specifically, once I solder, as per the tutorial, I am unsure how to continue on from there in terms of connecting wires and sensor(s). I have read [https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-cc3 ... onnections]. Also, I initially thought the purpose of the stacking headers [https://www.adafruit.com/products/85] was to allow for stacking shields in a way to avoid soldering, but I am now realizing that may not be the case since I cannot figure out how to use them.

After much googling, I have yet to find a beginner tutorial. So, if anyone can point me to a (very) beginner guide on how to connect the wifi shield, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks for any help!

-Steve

Franklin97355

Re: Need beginner tutorial for Connecting the Adafruit CC300

Post by Franklin97355 »

Steve, stacking headers are so you can stack (hence the name) one board on top of another. They do need to be soldered to work properly. Once you have the board soldered you plug it on top of the Uno and run buildtest to see how everything works. If you have problems with that program let us know. The best way to go is one step at a time as you learn.

arduino_steve

Post by arduino_steve »

Thanks. And what exactly is the difference between those stacking headers from the ones provided with the wifi shield itself?

And is there any insight you can provide to a beginner on wiring after a shield is connected to the Arduino Uno? I can see how to connect the shield to the Uno, but then it appears that the pins on the Uno are all taken now by the shield itself. After this point, how does one connect something like a temperature sensor to the wifi shield?

Thanks again.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

but then it appears that the pins on the Uno are all taken now by the shield itself.
That is one use for stacking headers. They provide connections to the pins on the underlying boards. There is also this shield

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”