How to connect when all headers used by shield?

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lbarry

How to connect when all headers used by shield?

Post by lbarry »

My general Arduino connection problem was highlighted recently when I bought a 2.8" TFT Touch Shield and plugged it onto an Arduino UNO board. Perfect fit! But...now I want to use the DS1307 Real Time Clock breakout board. I need to get 6 wires from the UNO to the RTC board but there are no pins exposed that I can "tap into". I can solder onto the little header nubs on the bottom of the UNO board, but that's not very elegant or reliable.

Is there such a thing as a "collar jumper wire" that has a little collar that slips over a header pin to grab a signal, or a "T" shaped header that allows connections on it's side as well as it's top so you can access the header signals while they still connect to the board above?

I was an electrical engineer for 20 years so I'm not exactly a noobie, and I have used Arduino boards for quite a while now. I'm always surprised at how some connections - between CPU boards and shields for instance - are so smooth, but other connections to boards made by the SAME PEOPLE are virtually impossible! What am I missing? Any wiring solutions out there that you know of would be greatly appreciated.

Franklin97355

Re: How to connect when all headers used by shield?

Post by Franklin97355 »

You need on of these (or two) https://www.adafruit.com/products/196

lbarry

Post by lbarry »

Thank you - that will work. In fact, I already have one. I think I could also use a regular non-screw-terminal proto shield and solder external wire directly into it and not incur the additional width of the screw terminals and the wires sticking out of them. But I was hoping not to have to add another layer to my project, especially since I only need to connect a couple of wires.

However, if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes! I just wanted to know if there was anything else out there that I was unaware of. Thank you for your response!.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

There is nothing that I know of that takes up no space but you might look into "wire wrap" wire and tools for connections to the pins on the LCD shield. It would add about 1/16" if you were careful.

lbarry

Post by lbarry »

Another good idea - thank you!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”