CC3000 shield can't connect to WiFi -- password > 32 chars [

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
CalebShetland

CC3000 shield can't connect to WiFi -- password > 32 chars [

Post by CalebShetland »

Hi All,
It took some trial-and-error to get my CC3000 shield to connect to WiFi so I thought I'd log the details here in case anyone else hits the same issues. I'm hooking up the Adafruit CC3000 WiFi shield to an Arduino Mega 2560.
It seems like the CC3000 library can't handle a WiFi password longer than 32 characters (the limit imposed by my router is 64 characters). The comments in the buildtest code mention a 32-character limit on the SSID, but it took me a while to guess that there might be a short length limit on the password also. I trimmed my password down to 31 characters to be safe, and buildtest connects successfully now.
Other notes:
>> If you haven't done any soldering in a while, don't forget that cold solder joints can show a good electrical connection right after you solder them, but then fail as soon as they're subjected to a little mechanical stress. If your Arduino can't talk reliably to your CC3000 (I got to "Initialising the CC3000 ..." in buildtest and stalled there), then test the electrical connections on your solder joints AGAIN after plugging/unplugging the shield from the Arduino, even if they looked fine before.
>> The CC3000 connected successfully to my phone's WiFi hotspot, but couldn't ping adafruit.com through it. The CC3000 then pinged adafruit.com successfully after it connected to my router's WiFi. So the phone hotspot might have some extra complexity in its local network that the CC3000 is not set up to handle.
Cheers,
Caleb

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”