WAVE SHIELD SDHC card

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fprete

WAVE SHIELD SDHC card

Post by fprete »

Colleagues:

I have built the WAVE SHIELD and cannot get he SD card to initialize. All component pieces were purchased within the last few weeks from Adafruit, and I have done all suggested fixes three times, including altering the suggested sketch lines and library file. The card is a SanDisk 4 GB, formatted as suggested in the Adafruit instructions. Although this is not my final project, for testing purposes I pasted the uncompressed Pumkin Sound WAV files onto the card (and I also tried the other example files in the waveHC library top folder).

I continue to get the message "Error: Card init. failed! SD I/O error: 1, 0". In addition, although the dapHC.pde and other sketches compile, upload to the UNO, and run, I get an error message saying "Invalid library found in C:\Users\Dell User\Documents\Arduino\libraries\arduino: Missing 'author' from library."

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Dr. Prete

adafruit_support_bill

Re: WAVE SHIELD SDHC card

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Please post photos showing your soldering and connections to the shield.

fprete

Post by fprete »

Here is a link to a photo of the shield:

Let me know if you see anything obviously wrong. I was a jeweler for ten years prior to getting my PhD in neurobiology ... so, I am relatively confident in my soldering. However, I may have made a component placement mistake.

I sincerely appreciate the help. I need to figure this out for a prototype on which I am working, and I am new in the electronics world. It's like starting school again.... at the 5th grade level. Fun but daunting.

fprete

Post by fprete »

adafruit_support_bill

From what I can see, the soldering looks very good in general. Pin 6 of the SD card holder does look a little suspect though. it is hard to tell from a vertical view. Make sure that the solder has wetted both the solder tab and the pad underneath: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... face-mount

fprete

Post by fprete »

Thanks... I will re-solder it!

fprete

Post by fprete »

Exactly the same problem. What do "Error: Card init. failed! SD I/O error: 1, 0" and "Invalid library found in C:\Users\Dell User\Documents\Arduino\libraries\arduino: Missing 'author' from library" mean precisely?

adafruit_support_bill

The SD I/O error means it was not able to communicate with the card well enough to initialize it. This can be caused by soldering problems, timing incompatibilities, or in rare cases a defective card or card-holder. If you have a different card, give that a try.

If you run the SDInfo example in the SD library, it may give you a little more information about the nature of the problem.

I have not heard of the "Missing Author" problem. I do know that recent versions of the IDE have some new non-fatal errors related to "Invalid library". But most seem to be related to include-path confusion. The best place to ask that question is over at http://forum.arduino.cc/.

fprete

Post by fprete »

Thank you.

So, the SD I/O error I understand. This card works fine in the computer, just not in the shield. But I will try a new one. Is my only option to buy a new WAV shield and begin again?

The same message is returned by the SDInfo example.

The the "Missing Author" problem only shows up on one computer. Should I install the new IDE build (Sept 9th)?

adafruit_support_bill

Different SD cards have different timing characteristics. Personal computers have a lot more memory and horsepower so they can add lots of driver code to automatically adjust for that. The Arduino has limited resources, so the Arduino SD library is a relatively bare-bones implementation.

There is some capability to adjust the speed manually in the library. In the SDInfo sketch, you tcan try changing SPI_HALF_SPEED to SPI_QUARTER_SPEED in the call to card.init()

If it works with a different card, we can replace the first card. If not, we'll assume it is a hardware problem and we can arrange to replace the kit for you. Let us know how it works with the other card.
The the "Missing Author" problem only shows up on one computer. Should I install the new IDE build (Sept 9th)?
I'd give the new build a try.

fprete

Post by fprete »

Thanks!

I do not see the line "SPI_HALF_SPEED" in the SDInfo library sketch (and none of the words show up in a search). However, I did the other suggested changes in the pertinent sketches to alter the speed. (Some are listed in the sketch itself.) I tried the new card and that did not work either. I am puzzled. Could it be the hardware? Should I just get a new kit and give it another try?

adafruit_support_bill

Please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread and we can send you a replacement kit.

fprete

Post by fprete »

Will do. THANKS!

seacritter

Post by seacritter »

I seem to be having the same problem. Went through and resoldered everything. Changed cards and get an address of FF instead of 0 as the problem. Don't see the statement in the SDinfo sketch to change. Any other suggestions? This is for a project and it is due soon.

fprete

Post by fprete »

I got my replacement shield working. Ultimately, my problem was the hardware. The original kit was missing a component that I was overlooking. Otherwise, it all seems to be working as described for me.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”