UNO Full when used with GPS Shied Data Logger?

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
grantp

UNO Full when used with GPS Shied Data Logger?

Post by grantp »

I am using a Adafruit GPS Shield for GPS and data logging onto the SD card. I am also using the Adafruit power shield.

Its working well, really well in fact, but it also compiles with an error message saying the Freetronics Eleven, (a Arduino UNO type board) is getting full running the sample Adafruit sketch used for data logging. I would like to add an LCD to this but worry that if I do, its going to push it beyond full. What options do I have? Is there an Arduino I should be using thats larger?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: UNO Full when used with GPS Shied Data Logger?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The GPS logging example does use a lot of memory. But it does have a lot of room for optimization. This guide has some tips on identifying memory issues and optimizing memory usage: https://learn.adafruit.com/memories-of- ... ot-dot-dot

grantp

Post by grantp »

Thanks for your reply. I read this note and it was very interesting. Do you have any suggestions where I might try and reduce memory? What if I tool out the console debugging into and would that help? It does mention that SD cards used a lot of memory and this sounds like its the cause. I do need to keep using the SD card as I am logging while moving around.

Incidentally I used the GPSBabelFE application to convert the logged txt file data your sample code generates on the SD card direct to google earth and it works incredible well. Its amazing to see where I have been traveling with it and its incredibly accurate using the Adafruit GPS shield. It works very well.

If I can just get a 16x2 line LCD on there without overloading the memory, it will be a fantastic logging solution with display!

adafruit_support_bill

The easiest way to free up a lot of SRAM in the GPS logger sample code is to use the F() macro to force literal strings to load from flash.
https://learn.adafruit.com/memories-of- ... se-strings

grantp

Post by grantp »

Ok thanks and I will give it a try!

fprieto

Post by fprieto »

Hi, I'm not sure if the goal of mentioned project is the same that mine, but I started working with Arduino Uno because I have a personal project: Build a mobile data logger for (3) analog signals but having also the global position (GPS)
I need to clarify if It's possible to connect your data logging shield and any of your GPS boards (GPS Breakout or GPS Shield) to the same Arduino?
Options:
It's possible to stack the Arduino and 2 others shields?
Or is possible to add for example the GPS breakout to the [Arduino Uno+ Data logging shield] Stack?

Products that I've been reviewing:
Adafruit Assembled Data Logging shield for Arduino. PRODUCT ID: 1141
Adafruit Ultimate GPS Breakout - 66 channel w/10 Hz updates - Version 3. PRODUCT ID: 746
Adafruit Ultimate GPS Logger Shield - Includes GPS Module. PRODUCT ID: 1272

adafruit_support_bill

The SD card interface on the GPS shield is the same as the DataLogger shield. You can stack the boards, but you can only use the SD card on one at a time.

IT is also possible to connect the Ultimate GPS Breakout to the Data Logger Shield.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”