Adafruit CC3000 Wifi connect question

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
v10builder1

Adafruit CC3000 Wifi connect question

Post by v10builder1 »

Project system is Arduino Mega2560 with CC3000 Wifi shield, using Arduino IDE.

Nothing wrong with the hardware - both the buildtest and my application work fine when the access point is a Verizon Jetpack at the site. This configuration is security level 3 (sorry I don't recall if it is WEP3 or whatever - in any case, it works - no problem).

Issue arises when trying to connect to the wireless (actually hybrid) network at my bench in my home. The buildtest code stops at gethostbyname - telling me either nothing is really going out the router to the WAN, or coming back bad. Buildtest and the app both connect OK, and buildtest shows the available network list, successful connect to the AP, and apparently is able to query the router, because buildtest displays the gateway and the DNS ip adresses. I can modify buildtest to ping the gateway(ip address converted to long int) successfully, but a coded ping to the DNS server does not - replies = 0 and that's all. The WAP on the LAN at home is a DLink DWL-1000AP, and the router is a linksys BEFSR41, all these work with fine with all the wireless devices at home. The WAP is set up with MAC address access control list - no encryption. I can ping the DNS OK from the hardwired LAN.

I did not see anything to enlighten me by perusing the WAP and router managers on the LAN - all settings are basically not disabling anything - no filters. The WAP setup refers to a default channel number, but since my project connects to the WAP OK, I don't see how this could be the problem - there's just not anything going out or ping can't get a reply.

All reasonable suggestions are appreciated. Time is of the essence.

Thanks.

Joe

Franklin97355

Re: Adafruit CC3000 Wifi connect question

Post by Franklin97355 »

The WAP is set up with MAC address access control list - no encryption.
Not familiar with your devices. Is the MAC access control on but not encrypted or off?

v10builder1

Post by v10builder1 »

The DWL-1000AP WAP will connect only to wireless clients whose hardware MAC addresses appear on the list of MAC addresses configured into the WAP using the WAP admin tools. The wired Ethernet side of the WAP is connected to one LAN port of the router.
The WAP is also configured to use no encryption, and the CC3000 is initialized by code to match(one of the 4 choices - #define label is NO_ENCR.... - value of 0 if I recall - I don't have the source code in front of me right now). All wireless connections to the home LAN are operating OK in this manner. The CC3000 connects to the LAN via the WAP (the buildtest programmed CC3000 MAC address has been added to the list in the WAP) OK. the router DHCP server provides the necessary ip address, the router responds to available connections, etc. queries from the CC3000, and (additional new code in buildtest) pings to the gateway address (the router) are replied successfully. Pings to DNS server (property of the ISP - located away on the WAN) are not replied successful.

Thanks.

v10builder1

Post by v10builder1 »

Update - I have a workaround - I can use my iPad as a HotSpot while working at the bench at home. I still haven't figured out why the wired router won't connect to the WAN - I may never know ...

Thanks.

Joe

v10builder1

Post by v10builder1 »

Just to follow up - I upgraded the home LAN - now using a (new) Netgear N300 wireless router versus the previous access point and router (I even tried a dLink WBR-1310 wifi router - it would not work properly, either). The light bulb in my head went on when a windows 7 pc wouldn't connect to the WBR-1310 either.

Now, with the N300, All the CC300 functions work fine, as do all the windows pcs.

Point being the whole problem all the time was older wifi/router gear on my end. It appears that the evolution of wifi security indicates the routers should be pretty recent - the adafruit shields and libraries appear (righteously) to be most compatible with the newest standards.

We move on.

Joe

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”