GPS with CC3000

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sagowtham

GPS with CC3000

Post by sagowtham »

Hello,

I am sorry if this is a repetitive question. I have an arduino uno with cc3000 board(breakout) streaming sensor(attached to arduino) data through WiFi. I need to have a GPS atached to tell em the location of the board. I looked for ultimate GPS breakout but that will make my project cumbersome. I was wondering If I can use the Passive GPS antenna (https://www.adafruit.com/products/2461) to my breakout board to get coordinates. The coordinates need to be transmitted with sensor data, though it's okay if I have once every hour. If I use Passive GPS, what library i need to use in sketch? Will it interfere with cc3000? Please help me in telling if this will work.

Also, my cc3000 breakout does NOT have a uFL connector, so if I am getting a Passive GPS will it work if I buy THIS (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1661) and solder it to my cc3000?

Thank you very much.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: GPS with CC3000

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That device is only an antenna. It doesn't process GPS signals.

The smallest thing we have is the Ultimate GPS Module: https://www.adafruit.com/products/790

sagowtham

Post by sagowtham »

Thank you very much for the reply. Can you please tell me how do I integrate this product (Ultimate GPS raw module) into my cc3000 shield? I see the product has no slots for jumper cables or to attach to breadboard.

Another question, can I program arduino to get GPS coordinates and wifi connection simultaneously? Will that create a problem?

Thanks in advance.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The GPS module has plated connections on the edges, basically a plated through-hole cut in half, called 'castellations'. You can solder those to pads on a PCB like we do for the Ultimate GPS Breakout, or solder wires directly to the castellations.

An Arduino can use a CC3000 and a GPS module at the same time, but your code will be a little more manageable if you use the hardware Serial pins #0 and #1. Those are the same pins the Arduino uses to talk to the computer through the USB cable, so you have to do a bit of disconnecting and reconnecting between programming the Arduino and using it.

sagowtham

Post by sagowtham »

Thank you very much for the reply. I got the information I needed. You guys are the best!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”