Stepper motor skipping with when using double coil

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jonathanbyrn

Stepper motor skipping with when using double coil

Post by jonathanbyrn »

Hi,
I am trying to power a stepper motor with a V1.2 shield and a 12V 1 amp power supply. I ran the sample code from the motor library (powered by usb) and the servos and steppers started turning, much to my delight. The problem occurred when I connected the external power supply to increase the torque. After a couple of turns it starts messing up and jittering back and forth. I looked at the other questions on this forum and nobody seems to be having problems after a period of time, either it works or it doesn't. I also tried the stepper motor test and the error seems to occur specifically when double coil is called. I am operating it at very slow speed so I don't think that is the issue. Any ideas what might be causing this?

If you want me to post a video of the problem let me know and I will upload them.

I tested it on another motor and had the same problem, I have wired it red, blue green, black, as this is how it was set up on the 3D printer. This is the stepper motor I am using:
http://www.mantech.co.za/Datasheets/Pro ... L42STH.pdf

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Stepper motor skipping with when using double coil

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Please post photos showing your soldering and connections to the shield.

Also post a link to the specifications for the motors you are using.

jonathanbyrn

Post by jonathanbyrn »

I have attached an image of how my stepper is connected to the shield. Here is all the information for my stepper motor:
http://www.mantech.co.za/Datasheets/Pro ... L42STH.pdf
I have been testing it and the board is getting very hot. I think this may have something to do with the problem. has anyone experienced this before and should I try attaching some heatsinks?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That is not an Adafruit motor shield. Please contact DK Electronics for technical support for their product.

jonathanbyrn

Post by jonathanbyrn »

I hadn't even noticed that, I thought I was buying an adafruit shield. This is probably why it is oveheating. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”