RGB LCD Shield and IDE 1.6.5

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ZAP73

RGB LCD Shield and IDE 1.6.5

Post by ZAP73 »

I am having a strange interaction problem between AdaFruit RGB LCD shield and Arduino UNO R3.

I am using IDE 1.6.5 and the “HelloWorld” example supplied with the display shield library. I also downloaded the latest library just to be sure.

If the display shield is not connected, the UNO connects normally on USB. Windows Device Manager shows:
Arduino Uno (COM10)
I can download sketches. The Serial Monitor displays the expected outputs. All appears normal.

But, if I unplug the USB cable, attach the shield, and reconnect the USB cable, it doesn't work.
The Windows Device Manger usually doesn't show the COM port.
* Usually it doesn't show anything.
* Sometimes it displays "Arduino UNO DFU"
* Occasionally it has shown "Unknown device"
* The Arduino software doesn't show the COM port.

I am having the same problem with 2 different UNOs.

My goal is to use the USB to write to the display. Obviously this is a no-go.

Possible clues:

* After trying assorted things, I found that removing `lcd.begin()` from the code, the COM port works normally. Of course this disables the display.

* The UNO was previously used as ISP. However Tools pull-down shows:
Programmer: “AVRISP mkII”

* I tried same sketch with a LEONARD. No problems. Leonard, does USB in firmware, and normally disconnects and re-connects the COM port when uploading

My problem seems to be the same as the following posting. No solution to tony_a was posted.

Re: RGB LCD Shield and IDE 1.05
by tony_a on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:34 am

I'm having my own difficulties with 1.0.5 and the RGB lcd shield on an Uno R3. The Hello World sketch makes the Arduino's COM device disappear in the Windows 7 Device Manager, to be replaced by an "Unknown Device"

adafruit_support_mike

Re: RGB LCD Shield and IDE 1.6.5

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo showing your hardware please. It's possible that there's a bad connection somewhere that's interfering with the USB communication. 800x600 images usually work best.

ZAP73

Post by ZAP73 »

I don't know how a photo will help. There is no custom hardware. Just the Arduino, the LCD shield and USB cable.

I have the same problem with 2 different UNO boards, but not with a Leonardo.

All of the Arduino boards "seem" to work properly without the shield. The only thing I can think of is that the UNO's have had a lot of use. Maybe something got slightly "toasted", not so much as to cause a complete failure.

Just the same, I will charge the camera batteries.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

With connection issues, you pretty much have to look at the hardware. It could be a solder joint that needs work, or an unexpected short between a component lead and something else.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”