SimReader case

Talk about the videos and projects (SIM reader, payphones...)

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
illwill

SimReader case

Post by illwill »

figured an altoids tins would be choice #1 for most people on this forum
so i bought one, now im wondering how i would make the pcb mountable in the tin
keep in mind the db-9 has to come through the side of the tin and the board cant touch the bottom of the tin so it wont possibly short it out. any ideas on this? i was also thinking of chopping up a usb2serial cable and have just a usb-mini poking out of the side and just use a usb-mini to usb-a cord to attach but didnt want to waste the cable in case i need it for a future project

also ive soldered a dipswitch between the board and9volt in order to turn it off and on instead of detaching the battery everytime and was even debating on mounting the simcard holder on top of the tin in order to reduce stress on the board when inserting and removing the card everytime

any ideas welcome,, been debating this for a week or two now so im not really in a hurry

octelcogopod

Post by octelcogopod »

These are great, but can be expensive/hard to find. The cheapest way is to just use double sided tape or pieces of some sort of plastic tube/dowel glued to the enclosure (use Gorilla Glue). Use screws or hot glue to attach the PCB to the plastic for easier removal.

illwill

Post by illwill »

only problem with those wouldbe it might mount it too high and the closing of the tin's lid might be hindered by the db9's location coming out of the side
also would need to drill holes in the pcb since theyre werent part of the original design

illwill

Post by illwill »

is there an easier way to make this use usb instead of serial? theres gotta be an easy serial2usb add-on type project , i dont know much about hardware stuff yet but im learning :) i have seen other site advertise sim readers the size of thumbdrives so its possible

the_x

Post by the_x »

I'd suggest picking up the FTDI TTL-232R cable and using that to interface with the sim reader on the 6-pin header via USB. I grabbed one along with the kit and it's been useful on other projects too.

If you want something more integrated than the external cable, I think you can pick up effectively the same device as a break-out and attach it directly.

(http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Evalua ... 2R-3V3.htm)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Citizen Engineer (closed)”