Nice-to-have things for version 2.0!

Moderator: adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
polbit

Nice-to-have things for version 2.0!

Post by polbit »

I would like to propose few changes/additions to the next version of the Fuzebox...

1. Since Fuzebox/Uzebox is meant to be experimented with, it would be really nice to have at least the FDTI pins brought out to the back panel, so we don't have to take the box apart every time. And it's a shame, the case is really nice :)

2. Power switch? Having to unplug the cable every time is a bit tedious.

Anyway, just my two cents...

Chris

adafruit

Re: Nice-to-have things for version 2.0!

Post by adafruit »

i ran out of space in the back for an on/off switch, in theory the button in front is supposed to be the power on/off button but ive been stunningly lazy about adding the code to the kernel!
v2 will have the ftdi header on the back too, i realized i can use SMT 6-pin headers.

its kinda non-ideal right now i know :(

tim1724

Post by tim1724 »

Hopefully someone will write a bootloader which reprograms the flash using a file from the SD card.. then it would be a moot point. (SD card would be so much more convenient than a USB cable..)

But for now I'm ok with opening up the case occasionally.

maybe over winter break I can read up on SD cards and put in some work on it, if no one else has by then. (things move faster over on the uzebox forum, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see someone else get it done by christmas..)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

there will be an sd card bootloader at some point, but it may not be really useful until the '1284 (upgrade) comes out because of the amt of flash necessary. however, im pretty confident it will exist

tim1724

Post by tim1724 »

the 1284 will be a very nice upgrade. I hope it handles overclocking ok.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i hope so too! i test all of the chips in the kits...some -cant- handle overclocking! but 95% are ok

traal

Post by traal »

USB power, so I can use it with a MintyBoost or my cell phone charger.

burpees_NH

Post by burpees_NH »

fUze similar to an Arduino which can do 5v USB - but fUze is considerably larger chip and overclocked. .
You'd probably need some kind of DC step up on the fUze system... adding cost.

Technically, the Mintyboost v3 could be made to run 12V (see the 1302 datasheet... you'd need to replace resistors). I wouldn't go down this path though as you'd still need a 9v regulator, and common sense dictates you would remove the USB connector (such as a DC plug) so it's not accidentally used with a USB device.

The best hacks are the easiest... get a 9V rechargeable, or a battery holder for 6 AA batteries :-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Fuzebox (discontinued)”