Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Black and white video signal via S-Video
Moderator: adafruit

Black and white video signal via S-Video

by mschmidt on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:10 pm

I have soldered all parts needed for video output and as described in the tutorial I've tried it on my TV.

Composite output looked OK, although it had some annoying distortions. I hope to get rid of them using the cap hack.

Then I've tried S-Video output and the picture looked great, that is very calm and with sharp lines. Unfortunately, it's only black and white.

What did I do wrong?
mschmidt

Re: Black and white video signal via S-Video

by mschmidt on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:26 pm

I've found the bug myself.

I had a look at the wikipedia page belonging to S-Video and I've learned that a single pin is responsible for transmitting the color information. Hence, I've soldered all four pins belonging to the S-Video output again and now it works.
mschmidt

Re: Black and white video signal via S-Video

by adafruit on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:39 pm

That's right, thats why its so much clearer: the brightness (B&W) data is on one line, and the color data is on another. Basically NTSC has to work on both color and B&W TVs so thats why its such a mess :D

adafruit