Original Gameboy & Game Grrl

by The_Hushed_Casket on Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:33 pm

I didn't know where to put this as there is no off-topic or game grrl forum so here goes. I'm planning to make a game grrl in the near future and I want to put it in the case of an Original gameboy. I found the dimensions of the gameboy and they are frighteningly close to the dimensions of the plastic enclosure used (all the dimensions exept width are the exact same, well up to a hundredth of an inch anyway, and width is less than a tenth of an inch off) I think this would look great and have a retro feel to it. I wouldn't have to drill a hole for the LCD (the GB LCD is 2.6") and I could use the original buttons, and it also uses 4AA batteries. The only thing I'm worried about is fitting the LCD when there is a part going in where you usually put the cartridge in but I'll try anyway. Has anyone tried this because with dimensions that close it is begging to be done

PS is there room behind the LCD usually? because then I wouldn't have to mess around with the cartridge part.

Thanks. (I'll post pics once I do this.)

EDIT: Sorry when I posted this the "Other Project's" forum was not up yet (wow, I joined a board while it's being built, I have great timing) anyway if you want to move it go right ahead.
The_Hushed_Casket

by adafruit on Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:14 pm

The LCD has an attached controller board which fits up to the edges of the HP-4AA case. to be honest, i dont know if it'll fit cause i lost my gameboy a long time ago. let me know tho...that would be a damn sweet hack.
adafruit

by 6288 on Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:37 pm

im thinking i may try cramming it in an old 3.5" hard drive and ading one of thos tv tuner chips if i can get more info on them
just wondering about the lcd are you powering it strait off the 4 AAs or are you steping up the voltage?

by The_Hushed_Casket on Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:59 am

I'm thinking of dremeling out the part that probably sticks down to support the cartridge and then so I don't have a gapping hole in the case buying some old crappy gameboy game, taking out the guts and drilling off all of the case exept the part visible when the cartridge is in the GB. Then hotgluing that to the cartridge part so from the outside it just looks like there is a game permanently inside while inside it's hollowed for everything to fit.
The_Hushed_Casket

by sean on Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:51 pm

THC... You know that if you do that, it has to be a tetris cartridge right?
sean

by The_Hushed_Casket on Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:33 pm

ya I know, even with all the new advanced games tetris is still the greatest gameboy game ever.
The_Hushed_Casket

by Guest on Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:25 pm

Hi

I found your Game Grrl project on the weekend.
I too would like to make one that fits in the original GB case (and I have two knocking around that would be perfect).
I would also like to make an adapter that plugs into the GB game slot, and has the famicom connector attached, so you could play original NES games (the NES games in England are the same as the famicom ones, so should work stock).
Do you know if the Hip Gear screen will fit the GB screen hole?
Do you think I could get it all to fit in the GB case?

Cheers
Josh

by Guest on Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:31 pm

Sorry to make another post !

I have just done a size comparison of the PacTec HP-4AA enclosure and original GB case:

PacTec - 5.7" x 3.6" x 1.2"
GB - 5.8" x 3.5" x 1.2"

I thought they looked about the same size, but that is ridiculous, this keeps getting more hopeful!

Josh

by Guest on Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:33 pm

Hi

Looks like I may be doing a bit more posting so I thought I should regester.
I just bought an original gameboy off ebay (I have one but it was my first consol so don't have the heart to chop it up). It cost me £3.19, thats about $6.40 so almost the same as the PacTec case, and you get free buttons thrown in with it.

Josh

by boodle on Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:59 pm

Anonymous wrote:and you get free buttons thrown in with it.

Josh

...and a battery holder, a place that should be almost perfect for the screen, audio jack, vol control, power jack, and power switch...

i've been thinking about doing this very thing. i still need to get most of the parts

i was also thinking about the adapter from the cartridge slot: you could put in the second controller pins along with the game pins.
boodle

by adafruit on Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:27 pm

sounds good. take pictures of how you did it!
adafruit

by The_Hushed_Casket on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:35 am

I've got a original gameboy from eBay for $1.00 I'm probably going to bid on a hip pad today so then I only need the actually MegaJoy. I will probably do this over spring break and hopefully have my digital camera working to make a little tutorial.
The_Hushed_Casket

Game Grrl

by Guest on Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:30 pm

I am new here and I was wondering what case would fit the game grrl?

I have orginal game boy and pocket, and color and advance and sp

which would work. By the way ladyada how bout trying this on a DS.....

by Josh on Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:59 pm

The original GameBoy is pretty much the same size as the GameGrr case.
I have the GameBoy opened up - you need a special tri-wing screwdriver, and am trying to work out how to get the other bits to England.

Josh
Josh

Re: Game Grrl

by xoxota on Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:25 pm

Guest wrote:By the way ladyada how bout trying this on a DS.....

Why the heck would you want to destroy a perfectly good DS in order to play old Nintendo games?

Unless you mean taking the DS, and putting it into an olf GameBoy case, which is just silly... :-)
xoxota