SODAQ - Arduino Data Logging Project needs a little help

Forum announcements

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sensorone

SODAQ - Arduino Data Logging Project needs a little help

Post by sensorone »

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place for this so please forgive (or correct) me if I got it wrong :-)

First up to say is that I'm not involved with the project but just really like what the SODAQ project is trying to do so I have backed them as best I can. They are trending to almost reach their target at the moment but could do with a little help so with this in mind I'm writing a little in some obvious places to make people aware of this nice Arduino based project. If you collect sensor data and want to send it via GPRS to an online server then this project is good news :-)

@ Adafruit, is there any hope of posting this on your blog to spread the word?

Moderator edit: removed Kickstarter link. Anyone interested can use Google to find the project.

Thanks for the air time - hopefully its of interest :-)

adafruit_support_mike

Re: SODAQ - Arduino Data Logging Project needs a little help

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I've removed the link you posted because we don't want these forums to be a general advertising medium.

I understand your enthusiasm, but a post that doesn't relate to any Adafruit products or projects, doesn't discuss or link to a specific application of the technology in question, and asks for money pretty much falls under the heading of 'link spam'. It lowers the signal-to-noise ratio here, and doesn't help the project in question as much as you'd think.

We'll call this one a well-intentioned mistake, but for future reference, this isn't the way Makers promote a project or idea. It's the easy, slightly greasy method favored by MBAs, marketers, and other lost souls.

If you want to get Makers interested in something, use it to make something. Create a project that attracts attention on it own, and let people develop an interest in the components from there. That's what we do with projects over in the Learning System. It's harder than tacking up flyers in high-traffic areas, but it works better.

sensorone

Re: SODAQ - Arduino Data Logging Project needs a little help

Post by sensorone »

That's fine Mike, sorry for the unintended spam. I can see that there must be plenty of instances where spam promotions would simply dilute the good stuff to a point that would make a channel useless - we certainly wouldn't want that for Adafruit as we all learn plenty from your pages - so thanks for keeping your channel clean :-)

Cheers.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Announcements”