MicroView from Kickstarter

Forum announcements

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mjpcarbon

MicroView from Kickstarter

Post by mjpcarbon »

I dont even know how I came across this little item and for now I am certain it is above what I know and can do but always want more.
Will Adafruit be selling these along with some super tutorials for guys like me ?

adafruit

Re: MicroView from Kickstarter

Post by adafruit »

best thing to do is email them and encourage them to have adafruit as a reseller!

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

Until it is more widely available, you could add the 0.96" OLED display (https://www.adafruit.com/products/326) and use a medium sized processor like:
Unfortunately, you would not be able to use a Gemma or Trinket with the OLED display, due to memory issues. You could use a normal Uno/Leonardo/Mega, but those are somewhat bigger.

mjpcarbon

Post by mjpcarbon »

Well thats kool, will it work with the UNO and is it as simple as the 16x2 LCD to setup and use ?

michaelmeissner

For an Uno, it was a matter of loading the SSD1306 library from Adafruit, and hooking it up as a i2c device. You might need to check that SSD1306_128_64 is defined and not SSD1306_128_32, which is a similar display. If you have a non-Adafruit display, you may need to tweak the i2c address.

mjpcarbon

Post by mjpcarbon »

mike thanks for the reply, sadly at this moment much of what you describe is above my head

michaelmeissner

Well, Adafruit does have a tutorial on setting up the OLED displays: https://learn.adafruit.com/monochrome-oled-breakouts.

michaelmeissner

Note, the Microview is now listed as pre-order at Sparkfun, with an anticipated delivery time for non-kickstarter orders in October. Sparkfun is making the Microview in-house.

Since Adafruit sells some Sparkfun products and Sparkfun sells some Adafruit products, perhaps Adafruit will also sell it once it is generally available.

However, October is a long time to wait for it, so I would suggest getting the OLED device Adafruit sells now, and using it. I thought about getting the MIcroview via kickstarter, and I ultimately thought the display was a little too small for my normal uses. Since Sparkfun was making it, I figured I would be able to pick it up easily if I changed my mind. I could imagine several uses for it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Announcements”