Where is the new Raspberry Pi?

Forum announcements

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
steverobey

Re: Where is the new Raspberry Pi?

Post by steverobey »

I really didn't want this to turn into one of those "nerds tell a company how to run themselves" threads but I guess if you create a thread here there's a 50/50 chance it will turn into one of those.

invalid_ref

Post by invalid_ref »

steverobey wrote:... I guess if you create a thread here there's a 50/50 chance it will turn into one of those.
Haha! It is true. I will admit guilt in aiding the redirection of your thread. {hangs head low...}

steverobey

Post by steverobey »

And honestly, good luck getting the customer support these guys offer from other vendors. I've tried asking questions at RaspberryPi.org and those guys for the most part are pretty arrogant and rude. They are a "Non-profit aimed squarely at education" and I think what that really means is unless you are representative of a learning institute and have already ordered enough of their product to fill a classroom, don't expect any kind of respect. I like the stuff they're making, but I'll buy it from somebody who honors my business.

markb

Post by markb »

steverobey wrote:And honestly, good luck getting the customer support these guys offer from other vendors. I've tried asking questions at RaspberryPi.org and those guys for the most part are pretty arrogant and rude. They are a "Non-profit aimed squarely at education" and I think what that really means is unless you are representative of a learning institute and have already ordered enough of their product to fill a classroom, don't expect any kind of respect. I like the stuff they're making, but I'll buy it from somebody who honors my business.
The Raspberry Pi Foundation does not sell directly to consumers, so I'm not sure how this is relevant. I think they expect to you get tech support from their distributors. Interestingly, Adafruit isn't listed.

steverobey

Post by steverobey »

But why would you sell a product and assume your distributors would provide the tech support for it?

markb

Post by markb »

steverobey wrote:But why would you sell a product and assume your distributors would provide the tech support for it?
Maybe that the deal they made? I don't know. But I still don't see the relevance. Maybe you're trying to make the point that Adafruit charges more because they provide support, but then we have to look at the sort of support that other sellers of the Pi provide. And the Raspberry Pi Foundation isn't a seller from a consumer point of view, so they don't count.

I really just want to hear Adafruit's explanation for the price, though.

steverobey

Post by steverobey »

I really just want to hear Adafruit's explanation for the price, though.
Well, I pretty much laid it out for you already. They are selling a product, so they decide based on their cost what to charge for it so they make a margin of profit. Aside from that, they don't really have to explain anything. Sure they could charge less, but they could also charge more. They could limit you to one per person, they could bundle them so you have to buy a minimum of five. Their business practices are their own. They don't have to carry the thing at all. the reason they sell it here at all is because they sell accessories that can be used with it, and they have a lot of projects on their blog that use this and similar micro-controllers. If you really want to make a project and get the best price you can find for all of your components, it makes sense to shop around and find the vendor with the best price for each individual part. However, if you do that, you're not going to get everything all at once in the same package. If you want everything to arrive at your door on the same day, in the same package, you're going to pay more for it.

This is something we call supply and demand.

As for an explanation from Adafruit support about their pricing on this particular item, you might not get that, there's threads all over this forum of people asking similar questions, complaining about shipping prices etc. Really, though, this is a customer support forum. It's primary intention is for customers to get support for things they have already purchased or intend to purchase that they have a question about that isn't covered in the item description.

bonky

Post by bonky »

steverobey wrote:This is something we call supply and demand.
What you described is not supply and demand.

Also, all other major outlets I've seen are charging $35. With no supply and high demand.

Just an FYI, if you're still looking for one, the larger U.S. distributor has them in stock this morning ($35).

I love the Adafruit site and their products. I only question their Pi2 pricing because it is inconsistent with their normal markup. I want to give them my business, I'd prefer not to have to shop somewhere else.

markb

Post by markb »

Well, I hope an Adafruit representative will chime in. I don't really have any more to say.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

thanks for the post, these are the best prices we can offer at this time, we appreciate the feedback.

paulf8080

Post by paulf8080 »

To me, this is weird situation all around. My understanding is RP sets the price they sell their products to educators, not the MSRP that their distributors should ask. RP says they will come out with the next version in two years. People plan their inventory and start designing PI Hats. They come out with new product two years early at the same flippin price. I'm beginning to wonder if they even have distributors. I just hope Adafruit doesn't get stuck with inventory and obsolete designs. I'm old enough to remember the demise of Osbourne.

steverobey

Post by steverobey »

I just hope Adafruit doesn't get stuck with inventory and obsolete designs.
I wouldn't worry about that, plenty of people have plans In mind for things that will use the 512 Rev B. I have a few myself and I'm just one guy so I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Sure, it's not the most powerful and efficient micro computer or ever the most powerful and efficient Raspberry Pi on the market anymore but it's right in the middle of the road now and weather the price goes up or down, I plan to continue my own development based on that version. Do I want a Pi2B? yeah sure, someday. But I don't have to have it right now. I'll let the software developers catch up to it first. As you said, this new version came out two years ahead of schedule.

As far as the price here at Adafruit goes, just like I was trying to explain it apparently using more words than I needed..
These are the best prices we can offer at this time
So if the price at Adafruit Industries doesn't suit you.. I have a feeling they know what some but not all of their customers will do. Also, there's still plenty of Adafruit branded products that you can only get here. The raspberry Pi is just something they happen to carry for your convenience.

Sometimes I feel like I'm speaking out of turn or speaking for a company that I do not represent but I do know that if I'm out of line I can usually count on the AI support guys to correct my statements, and that hasn't happened.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Announcements”