Where is the new Raspberry Pi?

Forum announcements

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
steverobey

Where is the new Raspberry Pi?

Post by steverobey »

At the top of my screen when I come here I can see "The Raspberry Pi 2 - Model B - ARMv7 with 1G RAM is here! Get one and check out our comprehensive guide, benchmarks and performance improvements." and I'm thinking shut up and take my money already. So I click on that and you're out of stock. Never mind the typos and the obvious mark-up, you're out of stock. Nobody seems to be selling it on Amazon either. So where can I actually get one? Are there any US vendors that you can mention that have the new quad core version of the Raspberry Pi actually in stock?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Where is the new Raspberry Pi?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Historically, new releases of the Pi ave been in short supply and stocks were sold out within minutes of hitting the shelves. Your best bet is to sign up for notifications and you will get an email as soon as we have them.

steverobey

Post by steverobey »

Too bad we can't all cancel our orders now and return what we just bought for Pi2Bs.. I know I have a rev B somewhere between here and Secaucus, but I suppose even if I could cancel that order it would be for not because the first run has been bought out.

bornpilot

Post by bornpilot »

Are there any plans to update the Circuit Playground with updated pinouts/data for b+ now RPi2?

markb

Post by markb »

Why is Adafruit's price $44.95? The Raspberry Pi site says it's selling for $35, so that seems like the MSRP.

bonky

Post by bonky »

RPi foundation says pricing on the B+ and 2 should be the same. Since the B+ is 39.95 here shouldn't the Pi 2 be priced the same?

steverobey

Post by steverobey »

Why is Adafruit's price $44.95? The Raspberry Pi site says it's selling for $35, so that seems like the MSRP.
RPi foundation says pricing on the B+ and 2 should be the same. Since the B+ is 39.95 here shouldn't the Pi 2 be priced the same?
Because Adafruit Industries is a Business and the point of having such a thing is primarily to Make Money The obvious mark-up is obvious for obvious reasons. That's why I pointed it out. I buy things from Adafruit Industries because I like the company and want to support them and help them grow. Not because I like their prices or restrictive shipping policies, and certainly not because their support staff is friendly and understanding.

bonky

Post by bonky »

Of course it is their business and they can price things as they see fit, but 30% over MSRP on a product designed around price seems odd. It is also inconsistent with their Pi pricing as I pointed out. They are selling the B+ at $5 over MSRP but the 2 is $10 over? Just seems odd. None of this matters since no one has stock, lol. And with the press this new board is getting it will be a while until I get my hands on one. Still, I ordered a new case from Adafruit for when I finally get one (or two).

I love the 'fruit, been a customer since '07.

markb

Post by markb »

steverobey wrote: Because Adafruit Industries is a Business and the point of having such a thing is primarily to Make Money The obvious mark-up is obvious for obvious reasons. That's why I pointed it out. I buy things from Adafruit Industries because I like the company and want to support them and help them grow. Not because I like their prices or restrictive shipping policies, and certainly not because their support staff is friendly and understanding.
MSRP is supposed to be set to include markup. If the MSRP didn't include any markup, nobody would be selling if for the MSRP.

marcusrugger

Post by marcusrugger »

Given how quickly they sold out, it's clear that they're not charging nearly enough.

steverobey

Post by steverobey »

I still don't see where anybody has any room to complain about Adafruit Industries' price for somebody else's product. They're already bought the product for resale, which likely means they've also had to pay shipping, had to pay somebody to create the new item in the online store Didn't pay anybody to proof read ;) and at some point will be paying somebody else to stock and ship them when they arrive and get purchased. With all of that aside, this is a quad core variant with twice the ram of the raspberry Pi that you already bought and have enjoyed ever since. RaspberryPi.ORG should be charging more for it too and they aren't. The difference being, RaspberryPi.org is non-profit educational. Adafruit Industries (As far as I know) is an actual business. If you're the only vendor on the eastern seaboard with a particular product in stock, you can charge whatever you want for it.

As you mentioned, nobody seems to have them right now, not in the United states at least, but the price has been set where it is. I wouldn't expect it to change unless RaspberryPi.org starts giving them out for free.

This one is faster and better, even if it's ten dollars more it's worth it. Don't like their price? Shop somewhere else.

markb

Post by markb »

It's not a complaint. Adafruit is certainly entitled to charge what they want, and sometimes I am willing to pay extra to buy from Adafruit, because I like what they do.

But I would like to hear from Adafruit on why they chose this price. I think it is strange to charge above MSRP for a product that a has a main selling point of being inexpensive.

bonky

Post by bonky »

The RPi foundation worked pretty hard to bring the new board to the public at the same price as the B/B+. All retailers I've seen are selling at $35, just seems odd. Then with Adafruit shipping options you're looking at $55.

Perhaps Adafruit is sitting on a mountain of B+ and is using the price differential to clear old stock.

markb

Post by markb »

bonky wrote:Perhaps Adafruit is sitting on a mountain of B+ and is using the price differential to clear old stock.
I'd be really happy to take a couple of B+ off their hands, but only at a discount, not the premium which they are currently charging. I don't think they are going to sell many B+ at all at $40.

invalid_ref

Post by invalid_ref »

markb wrote:But I would like to hear from Adafruit on why they chose this price. I think it is strange to charge above MSRP for a product that a has a main selling point of being inexpensive.
I agree and would be interested as well. I have shopped with fruit for a long time now (and will continue to do so...) and find their work to purvey and curate great kits and gear to be outstanding. I also love that I don't have to sift through mountains of useless components to get to the good stuff. However, when I look for single products like a highly marked up Pi or Arduino dev board I tend to choke and go elsewhere.

What say you, Adafruit? Why not set a lower price and establish a purchase limit if you are worried about taking a loss?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Announcements”