Xbee S1 Sharp IR Sensor

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
profh

Xbee S1 Sharp IR Sensor

Post by profh »

All with Adafruit products, including XBee Adapter kit - v1.1 - is it possible to use the analog signal from a Sharp IR sensor GP2Y0A02YK0F with the XBee Module - Series 1 - 1mW with Wire Antenna - XB24-AWI-001?

Since the Sharp IR sensor takes 5V, do I need a voltage divider or a regulator? A link to a schematic with component values would be most helpful. Since Adafruit sells all this stuff, how about a tutorial?

FYI, an attempt to ask this question of the Digi support site was utterly frustrating and too complicated to be submitted.

As a loyal Adafruit customer, I thank you for your help. GCH

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Xbee S1 Sharp IR Sensor

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

What voltage are you running your XBee at?

profh

Post by profh »

I plan to be using the official Adafruit XBee Adapter kit - v1.1 as I mentioned in my original post. That should drop the 5V input voltage to the proper 3.3V for the Xbee. I have several of these Adafruit adapters and Adafruit Xbee radios, and they all work perfectly together in other projects.

Until I know how to correctly power the Sharp IR sensor, I will not even wire anything for this project.

The Sharp IR sensor sold by Adafruit requires 4.5 to 5.5V, and what I gather from the Xbee datasheet, is that the pins are limited to 3.3V, hence my dilemma/question about a voltage divider or regulator. Again, a simple schematic with component values would be appreciated.

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. GCH

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

According to the product page, the sensor's output ranges from 0.4 to 3.0V, so you should be OK. The analog reference is limited to Vcc, which will be 3.3V.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”