Xbee sleep mode problem

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
siva2402

Xbee sleep mode problem

Post by siva2402 »

Hi,

I've got a problem with Xbee and sleep mode.

I have a test setup with an Arduino Uno which reads an ultrasound sensor and sends the measured distance to an Xbee (S1) module.
On the receiver end I have another Xbee S1 connected using an FTDI cable to a raspberry pi and a terminal looking at the serial port.

I had everything working, so the measurement was sent reliably to the raspberry pi, but the setup uses too much power, so I started working on the power consumption. I want to put the Xbee to sleep most of the time, wake it up after a measurement has been taken and send out the result.

I used the SM1 mode, so I put the DTR (on the adafruit xbee kit) high to put the xbee to sleep, and low to wake it up. Measuring the used current during the cycle, the sleep/wake cycle seems to work. However, data only is received only sporadically, and I receive strange characters sometimes. If I put the Xbee in SM0 (no sleep), everything works fine again (but power consumption is too high)h.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

waltr

Re: Xbee sleep mode problem

Post by waltr »

Try checking in the Digi Int forums for a possible solution.

Rainz

Post by Rainz »

Sounds like the Xbee isnt being given enough time to send a full packet. Increase the delay before sleeping the xbee again. If you are using the xbee pin to sleep/wake then this is easy in your arduino code.

yogeshsingh

Post by yogeshsingh »

Rainz wrote:Sounds like the Xbee isnt being given enough time to send a full packet. Increase the delay before sleeping the xbee again. If you are using the xbee pin to sleep/wake then this is easy in your arduino code.

Actually i have also same problem but i seem to find out xbee usually buffer data and send it only when i put it in sleep.
Increasing the wake time doesn't seem like a good option.

I have one more problem with xbee At mode(in pin hibernate ) usually send packets but seem to missing 1 out of every 10 packets.
Sometime, I am also getting more than one packet one of which is usually the previous packet which i already got.

"Please don't mention Ask digi as it already past two days and they doen't seem to be bother about replying"

Please reply asap.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”