Reset Xbee?

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jdoscher

Reset Xbee?

Post by jdoscher »

I purchased the kit for Tweet-a-watt, and accidentally set my 'reciever' Xbee unit as a transmitter unit. Now it sleeps ever two seconds (like the transmitter should), but I can't seem to find a way to reset the Xbee's configuration. X-CTU gets an error when trying to read/write the configuration. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

mrmarcoe

Re: Reset Xbee?

Post by mrmarcoe »

jerrya posted this a while back and it worked for me.
Digi told me to re-flash the firmware, with the following instructions:
Digi tech support wrote:
- Connect the affective module to an XBIB-R RS232 interface board and the PC leaving the power disconnected
- Launch the X-CTU
- On the PC settings tab, select the proper COM port, baud rate and parity settings
- On the Modem Configuration tab, select the proper modem type, desired function set and firmware version
- Click on Show defaults and Write.
- When the action required box comes up, hold the reset switch in and power on the radio. Release the reset switch and the action required box will close out completing the install

Hope this helps

tobrew

Post by tobrew »

This worked for me when the reset trick refused to.

It is possible when using the USB board. You just have to go about it in a different manner.
1. Take the module out of the interface board.
2. Connect the interface board to the computer.
3. Open X-CTU
4. Go to "Modem Configuration"
5. Put a check in the "Always update firmware" box
6. Select proper modem from drop down menu,
7. Select proper function set and firmware version
from drop down menus.
8. Click on the "Write" button. After a few seconds of
trying to read the modem, you will get an Info box
that says Action Needed. At this point, CAREFULLY
insert the module into the interface board.
9. You may get the info box again a short while after,
just use the reset button on the interface board.

This should get you back up and running.

It can take a couple of tries but it worked for me.

jdoscher

Post by jdoscher »

Thanks, but I only have the tweet-a-watt kit, and no developer board. Can it be done with what I have?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

the dev board is the adapter you built. just take a little piece of wire and when it says to reset the board touch it between the GND and RST pin on the adapter. thats why they're right next to each other :)
may take a few tries...

jdoscher

Post by jdoscher »

Tobrew wrote:This worked for me when the reset trick refused to.

It is possible when using the USB board. You just have to go about it in a different manner.
1. Take the module out of the interface board.
2. Connect the interface board to the computer.
3. Open X-CTU
4. Go to "Modem Configuration"
5. Put a check in the "Always update firmware" box
6. Select proper modem from drop down menu,
7. Select proper function set and firmware version
from drop down menus.
8. Click on the "Write" button. After a few seconds of
trying to read the modem, you will get an Info box
that says Action Needed. At this point, CAREFULLY
insert the module into the interface board.
9. You may get the info box again a short while after,
just use the reset button on the interface board.

This should get you back up and running.

It can take a couple of tries but it worked for me.

This did the trick. Thanks!!

millray

Post by millray »

The method suggested by Tobrew worked but I discovered that when it failed after writing it was because it had reset the baud rate from 19200 back to 9600. I canceled the message and restarted X-CTU and used the TEST/QUERY function to discover the new baud rate then read the X-BEE and everything seems to work http://forums.ladyada.net/posting.php?m ... 40&t=11427#

Ray

Richelsdorfite

Post by Richelsdorfite »

Hello,

I have the same problem with my two Xbee.
The caracteristics of them are :
- Xbee XB24-AUI
- 802-15-4
- 001-rev B

I use one adafruit adapter ( http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... 70568895bb) with an FTDI 3V3 cable ( http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... 70568895bb) and the last X-CTU soft.

At the begining, the two Xbee worked well without any bug. I have upgraded them with firmware 10E6 with no problem after this upgrade.

Later, I rewind to them and try to read the firmware and : nothing

The two doesn't answer to any line command or read and write.

The baud rate is 9800-8-N-1.

I try "Tobrew" setting with no success.
I also try with a Reset wiring Reset pin to Ground. ( http://forums.digi.com/support/forum/pr ... 3_offset,0)

Nothing !!!!!!!

Here is two screen shoots of X-CTU software.

1. PC Setting

2. Modem Configuration

Do you have an idea ?

Thanks a lot,

Michel (From France)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

it says "Detected Baud Rate Difference"

did you change to different baud rates?

Richelsdorfite

Post by Richelsdorfite »

Yes,

I try all baud rate from 1200 to 230400.

Perhaps FTDI cable is out ?
I try a serial sniffer all seems good.

Richelsdorfite

Post by Richelsdorfite »

An other screen shoot with 38400-N-1

I cannot understand why he lost modem communication !

I will try without adafruit shield. As FTDI cable logic level is 3.3 V, I will shunt the SN74AHC.

Richelsdorfite

Post by Richelsdorfite »

Ok, I try an other FTDI cable.
It's running well.
My two Xbee are OK !

So, I will change my FTDI 3.3V TTL cable.

mparker59

Post by mparker59 »

Having just gone through the Xbee reset hell myself, I'd like to add a bit to the discussion. It's a hardware issue. I tried a different FTDI cable, I tried a different (Parallax) adapter board, I tried every combination of settings suggested on the many dozens of web pages that discuss this problem, and I tried some of them over and over and over, I bought more modems and bricked another (before I thought of solution #1 below). Nothing would get me past the errors, sometimes the error was "detected baud rate difference", sometimes it was a failed checksum, and I think there was one other, but they were all the same thing, I could not update the firmware on my Xbees.

Solution number one: DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE ON YOUR Xbees! Seriously. I haven't bothered to find out yet what exactly the difference is between 10EC that came on my new modems and 10ED - the latest - but, there is very little chance that the difference is significant enough to affect my intended use in the tweet-a-watt kit. There are many places in the software world where it is very inadvisable to be on anything but the latest version, but this isn't one of them. I could have had my tweet-a-watt up days sooner and put off a lot of learning about Xbee until later. It would be great if someone could change the tweet-a-watt instructions to remove the suggestion to start with a firmware upgrade.

Solution number two: get yourself a Digi brand adapter board. I still had to use the pull the modem out, click send, wait for the error pop-up, put them modem in trick to get X-CTU to upgrade the modems - but they both upgraded on the first try. I don't know what it is about the third-party Xbee adapter boards (may investigate that later) but the two different ones that I tried (Adafruit and Parallax) are not effective at upgrading Xbee firmware.

Mike

waltr

Post by waltr »

Good advice mparker59.

I did buy the adapters directly from Digi when I started to play with XBees. With these I never had a problem setting the parameters or updated the firmware. Digi does have the schematics for their adapters available to download for anyone wishing to see how they did them.

greyf350

Post by greyf350 »

I fought with this for a while. I had mine sleeping for 5seconds at a time, so it's impossible to get access to it. Hotswapping the module never worked for me

Here's what works for me in this exact order.

1) Fire up XCTU
2) Before powering up the XBee on the USB/serial adapter, Jumper the XBee reset line to ground
3) plug it in/power it up with reset held at ground. Keep ground connected, don't touch it yet. (NOTE: reset switch on Arduinos does not reset the XBee)
4) Press 'restore' in XCTU. XCTU will take a few seconds and then pop up a box and complain about reseting the module. Don't close/cancel the box
5) Remove ground from reset line. XCTU popup box should close by itself. At this point the assoc LED should be blinking continuously.
6) XCTU will now show a completely blank config for the XBee. Press 'read' in XCTU and you should see all of the default modes enabled. Whatever was in there earlier just got erased.
7) re-enter your configs and then 'write'

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”