XBee Range / Line of Sight

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
clarustnb

XBee Range / Line of Sight

Post by clarustnb »

Hey guys, quick question and I can't seem to find it in a forum search.

I am working on building a wireless data logger for my racing motorcycle. I have just about finished the GPS shield which logs most of the data I need. [currently logging to an SD card] My ultimate goal over the winter is to have a point to point XBee setup which will stream the GPS shield data to my laptop where I can write some software to provide live data.

The question is, I am researching which XBee to get. In a quick study of the tracks I would be at, none of them are much larger than 1.2 miles from farthest point to 'home base', so I was thinking of going with the XBee Pro 900, however some of the tracks can be rather 'hilly'. What is the true definition of line of sight? Would I still be able to receive a signal? What if I upgraded to a XBee XSC Pro?

Thanks!

adafruit

Re: XBee Range / Line of Sight

Post by adafruit »

you may want to check digi.com's site and knowledgebase. adafruit only carries the 'classic' series one with about 50' range

HerrDoktorBD

Re: XBee Range / Line of Sight

Post by HerrDoktorBD »

In my case the transmission range worked out to less than the claimed 50 ft. An XBee-PRO (chip antenna) replaced the stock XBee in the transmitter, and now we have data. We are talking 60 mW transmit power for the PROs instead of 1 mW for the bog-standard XBee. No circuit changes or programming were necessary for this upgrade.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”