x-ctu vs. hyperterm

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gunterhausfrau

x-ctu vs. hyperterm

Post by gunterhausfrau »

I have three xbee's. I bought them used. All three seem to communicate just fine with hyperterm (though one was setup at 19200 vs. 9600, but figured that out). Now when I use x-ctu, two report back as "unable to communicate with modem", the third appears to work fine (at least it reports back with reasonable information, I have gone no further) when I do the test/query. In terminal mode in x-ctu I get the xxxOK callback on all three.

I guess two questions, any thoughts on what the issue is? is there anything that I can check in terminal that might point to the difference between the three?

Thanks.

Franklin97355

Re: x-ctu vs. hyperterm

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you can communicate with HT you should be able to query and change settings. I would check the settings of the working one against the other.

gunterhausfrau

Post by gunterhausfrau »

I checked the speed (but that seemed obvious, as terminal commands wouldn't have worked otherwise). Any other suggestions about what would allow communication, but not have x-ctu recognize the xbee? I thought about a reset, but the only way that I understand to reset is to jumper the pins, can I do with with the adap board? I believe the reset pin is hooked up, if there was a command from the terminal to drive that pin, maybe I could try that? I also saw something about forcing an update, but not sure if that is something to try if the xbee is not recognized.

Thanks for the help.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you are using the adafruit adapter try shorting rst to ground when the program says it is unable to find the modem. Just short for a second don't jumper the connection.

gunterhausfrau

Post by gunterhausfrau »

I'm baffled, happy, but baffled. I'm playing with a linux system, was using a windows box. I was getting the same behavior, but when I unplugged the adaptor (yep, I'm using the adafruit adapt). no communication, but it did recognize the com port, and when I went to the term communication it would do the whole +++ok thing, well, now it seems to be communicating with the xbees just fine. I don't think I did anything different, but maybe all the hot swapping reset? anyway seems to be working now (not sure why), thanks for the help. I think I would have likely tossed them on the pile of misfit toys without the input. Thanks.

richms

Post by richms »

I was unable to get one back from being wrongly programmed and flashed on a USB to serial cable, but upon using a real comport it worked on the second try. I am guessing there is some timing issue between the reset and the commands that happens on a USB to serial.

This was using the boards that come in the devkit for the xbee - one was serial and one was USB with a converter on it. Same thing with not workign with a usb to rs232 cable and the serial port based devkit board. Had to be a PCI serial port to be reliable.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”