Can the Xbee do....

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
codejoy

Can the Xbee do....

Post by codejoy »

I have a simple setup. I want to take the cheap paralax PIR sensor and hook it up to an xbee. and have it tell my arduino on the base station/receive side when the motion is detected and what sensor detects it.

I have no clue where to start. My biggest question is looks like a lot of configuration is required to get these xbees up and running. is that true? and does their software that I saw here:
http://www.ladyada.net/make/xbee/configure.html
Is that all necessary? I heard its easy to make something wireless directly using something called remote command mode? the idea is i want these sensors to be able to connect up to a network of each other and communicate with a base station. I want me to be able to do the configuration programatically from my own code. If this is possible I would like some ideas where to start looking on the how.

but just not even sure if what I want is possible.

Thanks anyone who reads this and helps...

Shane

adafruit

Re: Can the Xbee do....

Post by adafruit »

yes you need to spend the time and learn how to configure the xbees. but they can certainly do a remote PIR sensor

codejoy

Post by codejoy »

I guess thats my next question. Can the configuration be widdled down into something that perhaps would be easy for an end user? Very plug in play (They buy a new sensor, turn it on and automatically its added to the network and perhaps an external configuration program I write can easily set it up for them?)

Or is the configuration of an xbee done using proprietary software, libraries, apis?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

its not completely plug and play. please read the comprehensive xbee tutorials we put up for how to configure them, also the datasheet will be handy.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”