Did I fry my Xbee

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MoleMan

Did I fry my Xbee

Post by MoleMan »

Last night I assembled my xbee adapter kit. It went together easy enough. I hooked up one of my two xbees played around with hyperterminal (successfully) and updated the firm ware with X-CTU. I then changed the baud rate to 19200, hit write and the write failed and the green status LED went off. I couldn't get anything to admit there was an xbee in the socket. I then tried the other xbee, it worked fine. I updated the firmware but have been afraid to set the baud rate. I didn't power it down between updating the firmware and trying to change the baud rate. Did I fry my xbee? Thanks for any help you all can offer.

adafruit

Re: Did I fry my Xbee

Post by adafruit »

huh its unlikely its -damaged-
did you try connecting at either 9600 or 19200?

MoleMan

Post by MoleMan »

Yeah I tried both. It says it is "unable to communcate with modem" when I hit the test/query button for both settings. The weird thing is that the green "ASC" light doesn't come on when I plug the board into my pc. When I use the "working Xbee" it starts blinking immediately. My wife thinks I just fry things by looking at them.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

try 'resetting' it by touching a wire to RST and ground (they're next to each other)

MoleMan

Post by MoleMan »

No dice. Would it be weird if I mailed it to you? I bought it a couple weeks back, if it can be made right I'll pay to mail it back. Its worth the dollar to let an expert give it a look rather than get a new one.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

sorry, we dont do returns for products that have been used. the xbee's are sensitive to 5v and static electricity. try using a grounding mat? at least you've got one good one!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”