Xbee bricked

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
guillermo3r

Xbee bricked

Post by guillermo3r »

Hi to all,
Several days ago I bought a couple of Xbee modules XB24. they were working fine for one week or so and at a certain moment they got completly bricked :shock: .I dont know what could causes it. They both show the same "synthomps".when I connect them the to the pc via a ftdi cable the green led starts to blink rapidly but not at the normal rate of one blink per second but much more faster.I have tried hundred of times to rewrite the firmware original wit x-ctu but always with the same result; when the AT commands are going to be written I always have the same error: "the volatile memory could no be written" .
In this moment I am very disappointed :( :( :( with the xbee modules. I have several questions :
1 º Is there any way for the modules to be recovered.
2º Are the xbee modules so fragile that sooner or later their destiny is got bricked.( they arent cheap)?.
3ºShould they be handled in a certain way to avoid this?.
Thank you I am looking forward to your advices.
Guillermo :)

adafruit

Re: Xbee bricked

Post by adafruit »

wow you really did something strange to them! did you input any voltages higher than 3V?

guillermo3r

Post by guillermo3r »

I dont think so but I am not very sure.I have been used them to control wirelessly two servos with two arduino. The xbee modules are attached to the arduinos with xbee shield. I cant rule out that during the manipulation of the circuits a peak of current could have damaged the xbees. So I thik that they are unrecoverable. :(
Guillermo

richms

Post by richms »

I did something to one of mine that started doing that when I was borrowing a pair of pro ones.

I had the actual maxstream dev kit boards which had a reset button on them. By pushing that off and on while clicking write in x-ctu it eventually came back.

I had stuffed up reading Limors instructions and put wrong things in places when trying to program them to be tweetawatts.

So try soldering a button or wire to the reset pin on the xbee adaptor and toggling it while trying to write new settings...

guillermo3r

Post by guillermo3r »

OK, I will try and post the results :)
Guillermo

guillermo3r

Post by guillermo3r »

No luck :( :( . I followed your instructions. At the very beginning all seems to work fine because the initializing and programming modem bars progress normally but the setting AT parameters bar always stop warning an error like no AT parameters to set ,unable to write volatile memory or AT parameters out of range. Any idea. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Guillermo.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

you could try contacting Digi...they do have a tech support team

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”