Remote Volatge Monitoring

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
WD8MBE

Remote Volatge Monitoring

Post by WD8MBE »

Hi, name is Tom and I am new to the forum.

I have a solar and wind setup with everything located in my garage, including the storage batteries. I want to use 2 Xbees to monitor the voltages and send it to my PC located in the house.

Also, I would like to track these voltages over a given period of time. Can anyone help me on how to configure and wire the Xbees to monitor 10-15 VDC and 0-35 amps?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Franklin97355

Re: Remote Volatge Monitoring

Post by Franklin97355 »

Have you looked at the Tweet-A-Watt project? It should give you some ideas for starters.

WD8MBE

Post by WD8MBE »

Hi Franklin,

Thanks for your response. I now have XBee's setup using the Kill-A-Watt software. And I am displaying using EnergyLogger.

Now the voltage sensor input (AD0/D100) what type and value of voltage is it expecting? DC Voltage, Micro Volts, AC?

Just for experimentation, could I hook a 1.5v AA battery to Grd and AD0 and get a reading. By the way, I am using Parallax 5v/3.3v adapter board.

Thanks,
Tom

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

tweetawatt must be calibrated. thats why there is a calibration step. follow the tutorial for calibration and voltage checking

miketranch

Post by miketranch »

I took a different approach in my project. I decided to use Raspberry Pi for a base station, and have several remote transmitters. Each transmitter is responsible for its own calibration. They send human readable ASCII info and the R-Pi datalogs it all to the SD card. (No waveform plots, but that's OK I have oscopes for that.) I used a Moteino (arduino compatible, with RFM12B), and the calibration factors are part of the sketch. More info at my blog:

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 41#p242641

and links there to my youtube channel

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”