X-CTU reads version but errors with Modem config
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

X-CTU reads version but errors with Modem config

by marcsp on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:16 pm

I just built the neat Xbee Adapter kit v1.1 and tested out connectivity using the free Realterm program on Win7.

Next installed X-CTU and allowed it to through the firewall. It was able to obtain XBee version info fine:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
Modem type = XB-24B
Modem Firmware version = 22A0
Serial Number....

Using Modem Configuration when Read is selected the following occurs:
The modem configuration file was not found. Would you like to check the web site for updates? (Recommended)

When answering yes, a dialog says "checking for updates..." followed by "Modem configuration file not found after update"

At the bottom of the window this text is displayed:

Unable to find configuration file for modem (firmware version 22A0). Use 'Download new versions' button to check the web for newer versions. Read parameters..OK

When selecting the Modem manually from the list we find XB24-B. The function sets and corresponding version numbers are lower than the firmware version.

I have tried uninstall/reinstall and also tied installing to a 2nd Win7 machine all with the same result. I also tried swapping radios.

This is my first time working with XBee. Am I missing some basic steps someplace? DIGI's KB did not seem to have anything on this.

Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:57 pm

Re: X-CTU reads version but errors with Modem config

by marcsp on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:02 pm

After making some more mistakes I seem to have found the solution.

First the mistakes!

Loaded the latest firmware manually from DIGI and then followed the upgrade procedure in the document:


Now, attempted to WRITE firmware updates to my responding Xbee.

Following the logic in the document I did not know that I should not be choosing XB24-B from the list on the Modem Configuration tab. Even though that matched the reported version. Anyway I selected XB24-B and then proceeded to try ZNET Router/End Device Digital IO as the function. As per the document selected the highest number from the version list (1747).

The write worked! BUT... the XBee now appeared bricked or unresponsive. Tried every baud rate. No luck.

This procedure helped me to get back to a bootloader: http://www.digi.com/wiki/developer/index.php/Bootloader_to_force_XBee_reflash

With a boot load menu, researched what others had done for function and setup. Found this handy guide which showed by example that XB24-B can be flashed as XB24-ZB http://tutorial.cytron.com.my/2012/03/08/xbee-series-2-point-to-point-communication/

Now my XBee is reflashed and happy! The behavior of the LED's on the Adafruit board is also different. The green light is now flashing where it had been steady before. The Modem Config tab now actually works and detects the device!

Hopefully this helps another xbee newbee that runs into the same... :D
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:57 pm

Re: X-CTU reads version but errors with Modem config

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 am

Good detective work. Thanks for posting your findings!

Posts: 37701
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:11 am