Xbee Adapter kit not responding; shifted FTDI cable; module

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
andrewa

Xbee Adapter kit not responding; shifted FTDI cable; module

Post by andrewa »

Hi all-

I wanted to dive into the Xbee world, so I got two Xbee adapter kits, two Xbee (v1) modules, a Parallax USB-Xbee adapter, and a USB to TTL converter cable; this gave me some flexibility in testing things.

The two Xbee modules work, yay. I was able to ensure that Arduino-Xbee to PC-Xbee communication works, and the XCTU program also checked out.

The Parallax USB-Xbee adapter also works with both Xbee modules.

However, only one Xbee adapter kit (both v 1.1) works with the FTDI cable. I did accidentally put in my FTDI one pin shifted over for a brief period, and was wondering if I might have fried the SN74HC125N somehow. The system still puts out 3.3 V, so the voltage regulator works.

I can try hitting the solder pads again with a soldering iron, to make sure that might not be the issue.

The range test using the XCTU software (with the questionable Xbee adapter kit on the remote side) finds the module, but the range test fails; I'm thinking that the TX/RX might not be working, and that would lead me to believe that the SN74HC125N wasn't working or wasn't hooked up correctly.

Any thoughts?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Xbee Adapter kit not responding; shifted FTDI cable; mod

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

If you post a picture, we can check out the soldering.

andrewa

Re: Xbee Adapter kit not responding; shifted FTDI cable; mod

Post by andrewa »

And yeah, it was the soldering.... hit a few pads, and it seems to be online... :oops:

Might have been a cold solder someplace...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”