Powering an Xbee and sensor with 2 x AA Batteries

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Nearpoint

Powering an Xbee and sensor with 2 x AA Batteries

Post by Nearpoint »

Hello,

I just bought a couple Xbee's and was planning on powering them with 2 x AA 1.5V Batteries.

Although I know the Xbee power source needs to be 3.3V.

I bought these 2 x AA Battery holders off amazon to power the breadboard. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008SO ... UTF8&psc=1

Can these be used? Is it possible to get this to work, or do I need a battery holder which holds more than 2 x AA Batteries? Or do I need some circuit to step up the voltage a little bit?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Powering an Xbee and sensor with 2 x AA Batteries

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It might work as is with 3v. But you don't want to exceed the 3.3v rating. One solution is to use 3xAA (4.5v) and the XBee adapter which has a 3.3v regulator on it.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/126

Nearpoint

Post by Nearpoint »

Ok so it wont damage it to try powering with just 2 x AA Batteries?

I have those adapters. So you are saying that if it doesn't power with 2 x AA Batteries, then use a 3 x AA Battery holder (4.5V) and power it through the adapter which will regulate the voltage for me?

I will probably be using the adapter at first anyways because I am experimenting with solder-less breadboard.

Nearpoint

Post by Nearpoint »

If I use the 2 x AA Battery Holder (3v) hooked up to the adapter, would it step up the voltage to make it 3.3V?

If I can make use of the 2 x AA battery holders that would be great, otherwise I will have to buy the 3 x AA Battery holders.

adafruit_support_bill

It is not a boost regulator, so the input voltage needs to be a bit higher than the regulated output voltage. You can try powering it with your 2xAA pack using the pin marked 3v on the adapter. It may just work that way - maybe with a slightly reduced range.

Nearpoint

Post by Nearpoint »

Great I will try this out and let everyone know if it works or not. Thanks!

Nearpoint

Post by Nearpoint »

Just wondering, if using the adapter would it also work when using 4 x AA Battery pack for (6v)?

Would this step down the voltage to 3.3V?

I also notice the adapter has a +5V spot, could the 4 x AA Battery (6V) pack be hooked up to that as well?

adafruit_support_bill

It can probably handle a 6v pack. It will just make the regulator work harder to burn off the excess. It won't give you any more run-time, so the extra battery power is really wasted.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”