XBee Communicating with Zigbee Compliant Sensor

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DataJunkie

XBee Communicating with Zigbee Compliant Sensor

Post by DataJunkie »

After doing a few Raspberry Pi projects, I am venturing into RF, either with Arduino or using the Arduino/RPi converter.

Most of the tutorials I have read involve putting an XBee on both the sensor as well as the Arduino; this makes sense. But what if the sensor is already Zigbee compliant? How do I know which XBee module will work with it? It seems that some of these require pre-programming network settings and others don't.

Which specifications should I be comparing to determine if a device will be compatible an XBee module and vice-verse?

Franklin97355

Re: XBee Communicating with Zigbee Compliant Sensor

Post by Franklin97355 »

You need to find out what protocol the sensor uses and match that. http://www.digi.com/technology/rf-artic ... ess-zigbee is the place to start.

DataJunkie

Post by DataJunkie »

To be more specific, the issue that I am having is that end-devices will say "Zigbee (802.15.4) Compliant". But then when I look at the Xbee comparison matrix to determine which one to buy as a receiver, I see an Xbee 802.15.4 model, and other Xbees for Zigbee mesh and it seems like they are not interoperable. It feels like the devices are labeled "Hot Cold Water" but there are only faucets for "hot water" and "cold water".

Am I overthinking this? Will any Xbee series 2+ module work with these devices as long as it says "Zigbee compliant"?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Try the Digi site. The best I can tell you is Series 1 and Series 2 xbees don't interoperate.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”