monochron screen issues

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tms

monochron screen issues

Post by tms »

After successully getting the clock running I returned a while later to find the display covered with random dots.
All the suggested tests worked fine during the build, and the clock was working fine for at least 10 minutes. Now when I initially plug in the power supply it will sometimes start normally, but more often it looks like:
m1.jpg
m1.jpg (7.06 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
After time it degrades, like:
m2.jpg
m2.jpg (9.16 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
Is this a bad display, or a bad component, or could it be software? Anyone have suggestions as to how I could determine the cause?

adafruit

Re: monochron screen issues

Post by adafruit »

oh you've got the special Post Modern firmware installed :)

just kiddin' - that definately looks iffy. first thing we'd do is try taking it out of the enclosure, and making sure the solder joints for the header and the microcontroller are solid. just give 'em a re-solder to make sure. does that fix it?

wzntme

Post by wzntme »

Hey TMS, did resoldering help fix the screen issues. Mine is actually worse than the screenshots you posted. Any and all help appreciated!!

tms

Post by tms »

I resoldered the header connections on both cards, and so far (about an hour later) things seem to be working properly. If the problem occurs again I'll post another message.
TMS

tms

Post by tms »

I spoke too soon. It worked fine for about 2.5 hours, then went back to post-modern mode.
Any other ideas?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

tms, email support@adafruit to get a new screen and a return envelope

wzntme

Post by wzntme »

I resolder all the header pins, and still didnt work correctly. After looking over everything again found 1 pin on IC1 wasnt soldered enough. Mines being running for 24hours without issues.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

that could do it! please please check your pins before returning screens - we got one return and it works fine which makes us think its a chip soldering problem :(

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”