Monochron Graphics Speed

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
neutron spin

Monochron Graphics Speed

Post by neutron spin »

I noticed the speed of the Pong and Intruderchron graphics seems a little slow. When I burned the hex using AVR Studio on new chips I used the default clock speed for the MCU. I don't remember what it was set at when they were programmed. Would that slow down the graphics if the MCU clock was set too low? If so what should the recommended clock speed be set to? I am using the Atmel STK500 board and AVR Studio. As usual....thanks... :)

adafruit

Re: Monochron Graphics Speed

Post by adafruit »

look in the Makefile for the proper fuses

neutron spin

Post by neutron spin »

adafruit wrote:look in the Makefile for the proper fuses
Thank you....So if I used the Makefile that was created for the Monochron firmware and created the hex file and then burned the hex that would set the fuses to the proper values?...sorry if I am asking basic questions but a yes or no answer would suffice...thanks... :oops:

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

no you have to burn the fuses

fazjaxton

Post by fazjaxton »

I have not used AVR studio recently, but for AVR Dude, fuse burning is a separate operation from writing the program flash. From the documentation, it looks like it's an option from the STK500 programming dialog. http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod ... oc1925.pdf. See the beginning of section 5.

neutron spin

Post by neutron spin »

FazJaxton wrote:I have not used AVR studio recently, but for AVR Dude, fuse burning is a separate operation from writing the program flash. From the documentation, it looks like it's an option from the STK500 programming dialog. http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod ... oc1925.pdf. See the beginning of section 5.
Thank you...I am just getting up to speed with with programming these MCU's. There is a dialog box in the program that allows you to set fuse attributes. It probably is still set at the factory default clock value which I think is 8mhz with some divide by number...maybe 4?....I just sent the hex to the target and left all the other values at default numbers. Now I suppose I must check the Makefile and try to decipher what the clock speed fuse attributes are I guess and burn the correct fuse values. I really appreciate all the help.... :D

neutron spin

Post by neutron spin »

All is well now...the speed of the graphics is looking great. The fuse settings were wrong and fixed by using the values in Makefile and reprogrammed and all is fine. Thanks to Ladyada and FazJaxton for taking the time to help...as I said before....I really do love this place!... :D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”