Short on PCB or S2 Switch, or something else?

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DY3JPW

Short on PCB or S2 Switch, or something else?

Post by DY3JPW »

Hi,
Caveat, just so I don't get caught up in the politics I did last post. The PCB for the ICE TUBE Clock was purchase through adafruit. The rest of the components were through other suppliers. Which is officially called a DIY ICE TUBE Clock. So, do what you want with that information.

I posted another problem a while back and figured out the issue was a bad fuse. But now I have another problem I decided to tackle after a long break away from it. When setting the time on the clock the S1 works fine, no problem, but the S2 seems to act strangely. I go into set time and then press the S2 switch to set the time and the numbers increment automatically (very fast). I was thinking it might be a short on the switch but I tested and it tested fine. I even replaced the switch and same thing. I am not sure how to test where the short might be on the board or with my soldering job. Can anyone help me figure out how to look for the problem?

Thanks,

mitpatterson

Re: Short on PCB or S2 Switch, or something else?

Post by mitpatterson »

Do you have any pictures of the board? that would let us check for bad solder joints or shorts in soldering or the like, if you can put some up then it would be easier for us(and me) to trace and look at the schematic and stuff

DY3JPW

Post by DY3JPW »

K, it will have to be tonight as I am at work and don't have access to it now. Also, The switches are out to make it easier to veiw the circult. But you will see pics tonight.

Agent24

Post by Agent24 »

Which transistor are you using for Q3?

In the latest kits they replaced the PN2907A with a MOSFET, ZVP3306A due to a design problem.

You should probably replace this (or add a 470 Ohm resistor between the AVR and Q3's base if you are using the old transistor) even if it's not causing the problem.

mitpatterson

Post by mitpatterson »

Agent24, and for anyone looking at the schematics/board files, it appears in the latest ones(that i downloaded off github a few hours ago) use the lable "Q4" for that mostfet, i keep hunting it looking for Q3, and couldn't find it, but anyways, if what agent24 doesn't fix it, make sure to post up pictures then

Agent24

Post by Agent24 »

Yeah it's a problem when the old files magically disappear and you lose your point of reference...

Here's the old schematic if anyone wants it.
Attachments
icetubeschemv1_1.png
icetubeschemv1_1.png (64.87 KiB) Viewed 1654 times

DY3JPW

Post by DY3JPW »

Well, after a long break, I replaced the PN2907A with a MOSFET, ZVP3306A. And the clock still has the same problem, the clock works and seems to keep time, I can use the first button to enter program buttons. So, I choose to set time and when the time menu comes up the digits cycle through the hour digits automatically and very fast. If I push the second button the hour is chosen and moves on to the minutes and cycles the minutes, very fast, when I press the second button again it chooses the minutes and then stops. I can't time it right to program the correct time because the digits cycle to fast. Same with date, and brightness. The third switch doesn't work at all. Any other ideas? Short on PCB where the swithces are?

Thanks so much for the help so far!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”