Monochron Display Problem

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit

Re: Monochron Display Problem

Post by adafruit »

xldave wrote:I dont wanna sound like a [REMOVED by admin] but the photos and videos on your website all show a nice black screen. Had I known my clock would look like this i wouldnt have bought it. Dont suppose I can get a lcd someplace else that would look better because i dont want to put my clock on display looking like it does, it looks like there is something wrong with it. Dave
hi dave,

we're sorry to hear that, if you're unhappy with how it looks you are free to return it for a refund, you could use the blue and white LCD, but then it would be blue and white. the photos we take are taken from our first built clock, you can tweak the values of the contrast and brightness LCD to make it closer to your liking, but that's how all LCDs look. just email [email protected] if you'd like send it back, we'll use it in our office here when we have visitors :)

thanks,
adafruit

Agent24

Post by Agent24 »

I haven't used any of these basic graphic LCDs yet (only the text ones) so I maybe talking rubbish but those lines down the screen really do seem like they shouldn't be there.

I guess I will just have to wait until I buy one and see what they're like for myself, though.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Agent24 wrote:I haven't used any of these basic graphic LCDs yet (only the text ones) so I maybe talking rubbish but those lines down the screen really do seem like they shouldn't be there.

I guess I will just have to wait until I buy one and see what they're like for myself, though.
Hi, please let us provide customer support. If you havent used graphical LCDs, you may not be familiar with common characteristics. we use these sorts of LCDs often.

Kenobit

Post by Kenobit »

Hi everybody, this is my first post here.

I'm having a similar issue with my display. Yesterday I completed the kit (one of my first projects, I'm a beginner), and it worked like a charm. LCD was ok, and I also tweaked the contrast.
This morning I tweaked again the contrast, and suddenly two darker lines appeared on the screen. See the image:

http://min.us/lcCe54YFhOSiK

The horizontal one is really dark, but if you look close (sorry for the cell phone pic) you can also see a vertical darker line, over the 9. What do I have to do?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Is something pressing against the screen? do a power cycle on it

Jesse625

Post by Jesse625 »

Lol It seems that I have the same problem as dave and I must say knowing this I would of bought the ice tube clock instead of the monochron. It does erk me that it wasn't stated on the website but I guess I just have to deal with it. =\

Kenobit

Post by Kenobit »

Thanks!
I will check as soon as I get back home.

Nothing seemed to be pressing against the screen, but I'll double check.
I tried turning it off and on: is this power cycling, or do I have to do something else?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Kenobit wrote: Nothing seemed to be pressing against the screen, but I'll double check.
I tried turning it off and on: is this power cycling, or do I have to do something else?
thats all!

Kenobit

Post by Kenobit »

adafruit wrote: thats all!
I tried, but the problem persists. I suppose changing the firmware wouldn't change anything, right? Anyway the problem would be less noticeable with the pong clock. :)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

OK email support@adafruit and ask for a new MONOCHRON display and a new 36 pin header. you'll have to disassemble the clock :(

mtc

Post by mtc »

Hi,

Recently, June 22/13, I ordered the Monochron clock kit from you but only recently had the time to assemble it. As soon as I powered it on I noticed there was some distracting ghosting happening on the LCD - similar to the first picture shown in the first post of this thread. I tried all the suggested fixes but am unable to get rid of the ghosting. No matter how many combinations of changing the backlighting settings and tweaking the trim pot leads to elimination of the ghosting. I have even tried updating the firmware/clocks but that still made no difference; there was ghosting even on the new clocks.

Do you have any suggestions as to next steps?

Thanks,
Doug.
RATT Clock image with ghosting
RATT Clock image with ghosting
IMAG0189.jpg (908.82 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
7 Segment Clock display with ghosting
7 Segment Clock display with ghosting
IMAG0188.jpg (777.8 KiB) Viewed 1085 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

These displays are based on an older technology. They are prone to ghosting and are not as contrasty as the TFT displays. Your first photo looks fairly typical for the current batch.

mtc

Post by mtc »

So, basically what you seem to be saying is that there is nothing that can be done? I just have to accept it? Is there not even a way to turn up the backlight, or some other adjustment, and then put a slight diffuser in front that will make the clock still visible but eliminate/reduce the ghosting? Unfortunately, I do not have access to these sorts of materials or I would have tried it myself. Anyway, I think you need to update your pictures on the Monochron site to give a more accurate representation of what the customer is going to receive.

Thanks for looking into this.

MTC

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The contrast and backlight controls are the only adjustments to the display itself. There are LCD contrast enhancement filters available from several manufacturers, but we have not tested any of them with the Monochron.

If you are not satisfied with your Monochron you can return it for a refund. Just contact [email protected] with a link to this thread to arrange it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”