re-programing ice tube clock

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
brianweber4

re-programing ice tube clock

Post by brianweber4 »

Hi, I'd like to add a GPS module and a photocel mod to my ice tube clock and flash it with firmware that supports this mod.

What USB type programer is recomended? What firmware is recomended? Thank you!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: re-programing ice tube clock

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You can use the USBTinyISP for programming. Links to the GPS software mod are on the tutorial page: http://www.ladyada.net/make/icetube/mods.html

brianweber4

Post by brianweber4 »

Hi thanks for your reply.

I just bought a USBtiny from you and I installed on my Mac CrossPack after performing the terminal configurations in your tutorial, so I think I'm ready to go when the USBtiny arrives! Everything looks good on the Mac with the software installation.

I also bought the recommended GPS module and photocell from you for my ice tube clock.

To flash the firmware to support the photocell and GPS, after I disconnect the IV-18 tube, I just need to cd in terminal to the directory with the firmware and type:

avrdude -c usbtiny -p m168 -U flash:w:iv.hex

Is this correct? Thank you!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That looks right.

stinkbutt

Post by stinkbutt »

Um, is it possible to install both a photocell and a GPS into the clock with the stock hardware? Back when I slapped mine together I seem to recall I could have one or the other, but for both I'd have to start dead-bugging wiring onto spare pins.

brianweber4

Post by brianweber4 »

I am using the recomended GPS moduleand the photocell auto-dimmer but not with the stock firmware Everything is working very nicely. When I turn on my lamp I can see the tube auto brighten and dim when I turn out the light.

Time and date is GPS updated and I can see my latitude and longitude coordinates.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”