Monochron kit LCD not working

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_bill

Re: Monochron kit LCD not working

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

One pin on the CPU looks a little suspect (bottom left pin on the CPU in the solder-side board view). Touch that up & if it doesn't help, we'll try replacing the display.

dzjay

Post by dzjay »

adafruit_support wrote:One pin on the CPU looks a little suspect (bottom left pin on the CPU in the solder-side board view). Touch that up & if it doesn't help, we'll try replacing the display.
OK, I tried that. There's no change.

Well, I'm concerned with wasting your time and resources; it could very well be that I screwed something up with my soldering. In that case, I can just toss the kit, chalk it up to experience, and purchase a new one to try again. :)

-dZ.

adafruit_support_bill

We've seen a lot rougher looking solder on some of these kits. If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can get you a replacement display.

dzjay

Post by dzjay »

Thank you for all the assistance.

By the way, I verified my wife's original order from 11/2010, and noticed that she only purchased the kit. It appears that your fulfillment team sent the "FTDI friend" part by mistake--or else it used to be part of the kit back then.

If it was an error, I really have no problem in returning the part.

-dZ.

adafruit_support_bill

Don't worry about the FTDI friend. Let us know how you make out with the replacement display.

dzjay

Post by dzjay »

adafruit_support wrote:Don't worry about the FTDI friend. Let us know how you make out with the replacement display.
Thank you. I received the replacement display, and right when I started working with it, I realized something: I forgot to order also a replacement male header part :(

I tried to re-use the old one by de-soldering it from the board, but I think I ruined it. I can't get it off, and the solder went through the hold and fused on both sides of the board. I was using a soldering iron and a de-soldering plunger/sucker thingy.

Could I order the male header part by itself? I'm prepared to pay for it, since it was my mistake not to include it in the replacement order.

Thank you,
-dZ.

adafruit_support_bill

We do have them in stock here: http://www.adafruit.com/products/392

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”