Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Monochron kit LCD not working
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Re: Monochron kit LCD not working

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:06 pm

One pin on the CPU looks a little suspect (bottom left pin on the CPU in the solder-side board view). Touch that up & if it doesn't help, we'll try replacing the display.

adafruit_support_bill

by dzjay on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:05 am

adafruit_support wrote:One pin on the CPU looks a little suspect (bottom left pin on the CPU in the solder-side board view). Touch that up & if it doesn't help, we'll try replacing the display.

OK, I tried that. There's no change.

Well, I'm concerned with wasting your time and resources; it could very well be that I screwed something up with my soldering. In that case, I can just toss the kit, chalk it up to experience, and purchase a new one to try again. :)

-dZ.
dzjay

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:33 am

We've seen a lot rougher looking solder on some of these kits. If you contact support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread we can get you a replacement display.

adafruit_support_bill

by dzjay on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:07 pm

Thank you for all the assistance.

By the way, I verified my wife's original order from 11/2010, and noticed that she only purchased the kit. It appears that your fulfillment team sent the "FTDI friend" part by mistake--or else it used to be part of the kit back then.

If it was an error, I really have no problem in returning the part.

-dZ.
dzjay

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Don't worry about the FTDI friend. Let us know how you make out with the replacement display.

adafruit_support_bill

by dzjay on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:44 pm

adafruit_support wrote:Don't worry about the FTDI friend. Let us know how you make out with the replacement display.

Thank you. I received the replacement display, and right when I started working with it, I realized something: I forgot to order also a replacement male header part :(

I tried to re-use the old one by de-soldering it from the board, but I think I ruined it. I can't get it off, and the solder went through the hold and fused on both sides of the board. I was using a soldering iron and a de-soldering plunger/sucker thingy.

Could I order the male header part by itself? I'm prepared to pay for it, since it was my mistake not to include it in the replacement order.

Thank you,
-dZ.
dzjay

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:39 pm

We do have them in stock here: http://www.adafruit.com/products/392

adafruit_support_bill