Ok to wake clock

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ok to wake clock

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Sounds like it is coming along nicely. Be sure to post pictures when you are done!

ufskenney

Post by ufskenney »

For the most part, the project is complete. There are a few coding tweaks that I might make. For instance that the OK to wake time is changes based upon the day of the week (later on weekends and earlier during the week).

Overall, I like the enclosure but I am only about 90% happy with it for this application. It is really tight fitting everything in there. I wanted to put some buttons on the top to be able to change the time but there just wasn't enough room. The bi-color matrix is a little too big for the opening and I couldn't get it to line up properly to when connected to the protoboard. I will probably make some sort of front panel cover to make it a little more kid friendly and to hide the very slight gap for the matrix and the opening.

The project used: Arduino Uno, chrono dot, bi-color matrix, RGB LCD display, Protoshield PCB, and Arduino enclosure
Sad Face - Keep your butt in bed
Sad Face - Keep your butt in bed
photo (2)-001.JPG (31.08 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
Happy Face - Ok to wake
Happy Face - Ok to wake
photo (1)-001.JPG (28.35 KiB) Viewed 1791 times

ufskenney

Post by ufskenney »

I was quite surprised to see my project on the blog. Thanks for posting there. Couple of quick updates...
The lack of buttons turned out to be a bit of a positive. There is nothing that a child can manipulate on the clock to change the time, etc. It all has to be done by changing the Arduino code. That can be a little bit of a drawback, but I haven't had the need to make any changes to the code.

The fit and finish of the enclosure has been less bothersome that I thought originally. I still would like this to align a little bit better(this is my fault and not the enclosures), but it isn't as obvious as I originally thought.

I am working on an Instructable in between some other projects. I have had a fair amount of people say they would find a clock like this useful for their kids as well. If I ever get it finished I will post here to let anybody that is interested know.

BradChesney79

Post by BradChesney79 »

Got tied up with a few work things-- multi-threading PHP in a web server and learning how to program Android apps using the ADT bundle.

I've got one interface left for senditsocial.com and then I should have some time to devote to this.

I also was wondering how I was going to A) Set the time B) Set the trigger the OK LEDs time and C) Change A & B once set.

There's probably a good way to do it. I was thinking about using the analogs and a potentiometer to set the time. I'd like to pass these off to my siblings who will think modifying the program is an odd way to accomplish such things.

We have Daylight Savings Time where I live (unfortunately). So every six months things swing an hour one way or the other.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”