Monochron updating questions

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SIUDoc

Monochron updating questions

Post by SIUDoc »

I have completed the Monochron and everything is working fine, so I decided to move to the next step and update the clock. I am using a FTDI adapter and following the steps as laid out at http://www.ladyada.net/make/monochron/bootload.html

After following the steps in the webpage, everything is working fine, up to the use of the downloaded firmware. When I use the provided link in the instruction, "Go to the clock listing page, and click on the link that says "Code at Github" then click Download Source and save the zip or tar file onto your computer. Then uncompress it and find the file called monochron.hex in the firmware subfolder and copy it to your home directory (or to C:\ if you're using Windows)". When I use the link provided, there is no "download source" so I used the zip tab to download the entire file structure. Every hex file I find in the firmware directories of each distribution does not work and I get "invalid file format..." for the monochron.hex in the XDali and the multichron.hex in the multichron distribution. I even tried to compile the file in the Dali distribution using the existing files and compiling them from the download.

Am I missing something? I thought that all I needed to do was to download the suitable hex and upload it to the clock. I feel like I am trying to connect different sets of instructions together as I am not finding one that ties all of the pieces together. Is the webpage incorrect? If so, where do I get a more definitive set of instructions for this process. If the webpage is correct, can you help me figure out where I went wrong?

Thanks for any help you might offer.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Monochron updating questions

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Github redesigned their page layout a bit since the instructions were written, but it looks like you found the "zip" button OK.
Be sure to unzip the files on your computer before uploading to the clock.

SIUDoc

Post by SIUDoc »

I did unzip the file, got a hex file of 66kb, and attempted to upload to the clock. The response was "invalid file type" from AVRdude.

Any other thoughts?

thanks.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please post the command line you're giving to avrdude.

SIUDoc

Post by SIUDoc »

Here is the command line

avrdude -c arduino -p m328p -P com4 -b 57600

gives me device initialized and ready to accept instructions

avrdude -c arduino -p m328p -P com4 -b 57600 -U flash:w:C:\kill\mono\firmware\monochron.hex (or multichron depending on distribution)

gives "invalid file format \kill\mono\firmware\monochron.hex' in process specifier" followed by a parsing error (I assume that it cannot parse the file as a result of it being invalid?)

I am running the command from c:\kill\mono\firmware directory, the same directory where the distribution files were unzipped and using the full path in the command. I also was careful of upper vs. lower case on parameters in the command line. Can't think of any other information to provide you.

Thanks for your help.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

I think the "C:" is confusing it, just go to the directory with 'cd C:\foobar" and run the command

https://raw.github.com/BANNED/monoch ... ChronB.hex

looks valid to me

SIUDoc

Post by SIUDoc »

We have a winner. Apparently too much information is not good and running the command line locally to the hex file did the trick. The clock is now Dali-ing nicely.

Thanks for the help,

Doc

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”