Ice tube clock doesn't display time.

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Ice tube clock doesn't display time.

Post by alter »

First off, I see that this is in the FAQ section so please don't refer me there. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I initially soldered in the 20pf caps rotated 90 degrees the wrong way. I removed them and soldered in new ones. My soldering isn't fantastic but everything else works perfectly so I'm wondering whether I might have irrevocably damaged the PCB while removing the old capacitors. Anyone have any ideas of other things I could try? The elation of making this cool clock has rapidly soured! I'm thinking it's $85 down the drain due to my own screw-up.

Re: Ice tube clock doesn't display time.

Post by alter »

Looks like cold solder joints. Can't get in to clean them out. Time to order another kit and try again.

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

Looks like cold solder joints. Can't get in to clean them out. Time to order another kit and try again.
Well, that's definitely one solution. But it might be worth trying some less drastic options first.

The second Ice Tub Clock I built failed in exactly the same way and the solution for me was simply to clean the board: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 6&start=12

If it is a cold solder joint, I've had good luck with solder suckers to remove old solder:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/148

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

The elation of making this cool clock has rapidly soured! I'm thinking it's $85 down the drain due to my own screw-up.
The Ice Tube Clock boards are quite robust. I would be shocked if your kit were somehow ruined.

Post by alter »

Thanks for the advice, I'll certainly give it a try. Regardless, always learning something new and that can't be beat.

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

Thanks for the advice, I'll certainly give it a try. Regardless, always learning something new and that can't be beat.
Absolutely. I make my worst mistakes when I'm frustrated. If you're like me, letting the project rest for a bit might be worthwhile.

By the way, on my first clock, I desoldered and replaced R3 on five separate occasions. With the through-hole plating, the Adafruit boards are remarkably durable and can handle quite a bit of rework.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”